Options

Storage and EMC for noobs

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Anyone have any suggestions for good material for getting started in storage and (more importantly ) EMC storage solutions?

I have looked on the EMC website so I know about that one. I have also looked at the SNIA SCSP objectives.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Read this cover to cover: Information Storage and Management: Storing, Managing, and Protecting Digital Information

This is the textbook that maps to the objectives of the EMC Information Storage and Management exam which is the Associate level exam required for almost all their certification paths (and carries an EMCPA designation so you can stick something on your resume right away). It's very well written and would be a good introduction to storage and makes use of EMC products as examples throughout.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    Read this cover to cover: Information Storage and Management: Storing, Managing, and Protecting Digital Information

This is the textbook that maps to the objectives of the EMC Information Storage and Management exam which is the Associate level exam required for almost all their certification paths (and carries an EMCPA designation so you can stick something on your resume right away). It's very well written and would be a good introduction to storage and makes use of EMC products as examples throughout.

Cool beans. I was actually thinking of doing that exam. Do you think that would be more worth while then the SCSP or do you think that they compliment each other?
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Cool beans. I was actually thinking of doing that exam. Do you think that would be more worth while then the SCSP or do you think that they compliment each other?
    I think vendor specific storage certs are far more desirable right now, but obviously the training required to move beyond the basics is expensive. Even the self study options usually cost a couple $k.
  • Options
    I think vendor specific storage certs are far more desirable right now, but obviously the training required to move beyond the basics is expensive. Even the self study options usually cost a couple $k.

I've noticed icon_sad.gif . I don't want to get to far ahead of myself but a potential position I could have within the next few weeks would put me as a junior storage/backup/unix admin. The company has had some trouble filling the position and stated that they are willing to train the right person. One of the things they were looking for was an EMC certification so if it comes through, I really want to get that done. Seems like everything above the basic level cost major $$$ though.

My overall career goal for the next couple of years is *nix admin/engineering, storage, virtualization, and security. This could be a very good step in that direction. I have noticed the difficulty to getting into these types of job roles.
  • Options
    As far as storage and san jobs go from what little I have seen, the SCSP isn't well known. EMC certs are more in demand but so are brocada certs. Interesting.
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i havent seen many jobs that require netbackup/hds/emc/fc switching skillsets that require the certs from those vendors (balt-dc area). for sure i have seen more that want the sun or hp certs for solaris/hpux then any other in that realm.

still, this thread got me looking again at some items i havent thought of in a while... the netbackup 6.5 cert seems interesting as does snia. glad you brought this up...
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    I really want to do the SCSA and SCNA before I go to a 4 year school. If possible I would like to get the SCSECA as well.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I took the EMC Storage Foundations course about 2 years ago and I'll try to dig through the boxes in my garage to find the links and suggested review docs. A majority of the material can be found through power-path, assuming you have an active account to log in. EMC has done a decent job of setting up a youtube channel to help with quick clips and tips.

Here is one good blog site for EMC storage products that I've used:

EMC Storage Product|CLARiiON|Symmetrix Series|SAN Solution|Network Attached Storage|SAN Product|Knowledge Sharing

If you're willing branch off and learn more than just EMC, IBM offers free online training for their products and their storage basics is a good high level overview:

IBM DS 3000/4000/5000 Series Training
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    down77 wrote: »
    I took the EMC Storage Foundations course about 2 years ago and I'll try to dig through the boxes in my garage to find the links and suggested review docs. A majority of the material can be found through power-path, assuming you have an active account to log in. EMC has done a decent job of setting up a youtube channel to help with quick clips and tips.

Here is one good blog site for EMC storage products that I've used:

EMC Storage Product|CLARiiON|Symmetrix Series|SAN Solution|Network Attached Storage|SAN Product|Knowledge Sharing

If you're willing branch off and learn more than just EMC, IBM offers free online training for their products and their storage basics is a good high level overview:

IBM DS 3000/4000/5000 Series Training

I know NetApps has a simulator, I think EMC has one as well. From what I understand you have to be a customer or s student to get it. Sun used to offer a free simulator on their storage products. I don't know if they still do.

Its not like Linux where you can throw together a pc, load up your favorite flavor, and start running.
  • Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167

I second that, this is an excellent book covering everything you need to know.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”