Options

how to pull out 3 references

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
how can i pull out 3 professional references if i am a recent grad? I have only 1.
i also worked at another place about 4 years ago and the manager no longer works there. it would take me a few days or more to be able to contact them

advice?

Comments

• Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use your professors and the school officials and believe it or not landlords. They are professional references.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Use your professors and the school. They are professional references.

Unfortunately I wasn't an outstanding student. I just went to class, did the work, and submit my work. Didn't really get the chance for the professor to get and know me.

Is there another option?
  • Options
    You do not have to be a outstanding student. You still did the work and passed so why not use them as a reference. Check with some of your old professors trust me usually they do not mind.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    You could use old family friends or current family friends as well. They may be consider personal references but they can still give their facts about you. One thing I have come to learn in life always treat someone with respect because they can become a person of interest in your life and may need them like a reference :)
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Go the the library, look for the Reference section and remove 3 books from a volume of encyclopedias.

oh wait...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Go the the library, look for the Reference section and remove 3 books from a volume of encyclopedias.

oh wait...

Quit flaunting the knowledge you gained from the Beer+ cert.

On a serious note, I would also recommend talking to professors that you have had in the past.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I just had this same problem in my recent job search. I have 8 years of experience, but only 2 employers....both of which I still work for....and neither knew I was looking. In the end I used 2 professors from college and one previous IT co-worker.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used 2 former teachers, a former tutoring coordinator (I was a tutor, so she was basically my boss) and a long time friend of my dad's that I have known pretty much since birth who is in the industry. Probably not the perfect group of people, but they got me my first job. Now if I do a good job here I just picked up a few more people. This is part of the reason why finding your first job is the hardest.

I had pretty good personal relationships with the instructors I used, but its not required. As long as they knew you reasonably well and you passed the class go ask them. The worst they could tell you is no. (Well the worst they could do is say yes and then talk trash about you, but if you were a decent student and not an @** hole then they should have no reason to be one to you.)
    Decide what to be and go be it.