Options

Passed Sec+, feel letdown

fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
Earlier in the year I decided to embrace certification. Yes I was a sceptic, after hiring a few fully certified individuals that didn't live up to my expectations.

Anyways a couple months back I passed the CCNA and felt joy for weeks, then came 70-270, the joy didn't last quite as long but still good. Yesterday I passed the Sec+ exam, and today I feel empty. I think it may have to do with test difficulty or possibly exam cost.

The Sec+ exam cost more then both Cisco and MS exam combined, why? What do I get for my money, 100 - 1 line questions, What color is the sky? What port is SSH? and at least 10 virus questions. I was done in 25 minutes. On top of that the exam printout lacks important information such as a breakdown of where I need improvement. Passing with an 820 means I missed approx 10 questions, it would have been nice to know which areas need improvement.

My exam prep included this outstanding site, Exam Cram2 with the Prep Logic CD that's included.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Sounds familiar... although I was pleased that I passed, the actual exam is indeed dissapointing (especially considering the cost). Hopefully the exam will mature in the future, adding some value to the cert. But it's worthy adding to your list of certs, even if it's 'just' because of the topic.

Nevertheless, congratulations!

Which non-CompTIA exam is next?
  • Options
    fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    Which non-CompTIA exam is next?

Next up is 290 sometime January. I want to complete the MS cert then back to Cisco or possibly further security stuff.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats, fondue!

I believe that you have caused the Security+ exam to achieve its purpose--you are truly qualified, maybe over qualified to be Security+ certified. But, it appears that you were let down because you were not challenged. You seem to be a true achiever!

Best of luck on the M$ track!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    The Sec+ exam really is worthwhile. With it's broad scope of material, it makes for a great start into information security.

Congrats on your pass, by the way.
  • Options
    princess4peaceprincess4peace Member Posts: 286
    Congratz! :D
    Knowledge is life
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    fondue wrote:
    The Sec+ exam cost more then both Cisco and MS exam combined, why? What do I get for my money, 100 - 1 line questions, What color is the sky? What port is SSH? and at least 10 virus questions. I was done in 25 minutes.

Congrats on the pass. I felt the same way with Net+, Comptia entry level & I believe should be taken when your bored.
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. There is always a feel of relief but then you also think back and say I did this all for what, a piece of paper that says I'm certified. You also have to look at it in a different angle, people like me see you as a person that achieved a great start in Information Security if that is your plans. It is true that it is an entry level cert.