Office 2010

Hey Tech Examers

I just installed Office 2010. I think it's pretty cool. I wrote a blog about my initial thoughts here: Office 2010 ? Initial Thoughts

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Subl1m1nal
Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
70-648 - Done
70-643 - In progress
70-647 - Still on my list
70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
www.thecoans.net
www.facebook.com/tylercoan
www.twitter.com/tylercoan
www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've been using the beta of 2010 for awhile now and I like it too. I'm just glad they didn't make so many changes that I had to really relearn everything.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    Hey Tech Examers

I just installed Office 2010. I think it's pretty cool. I wrote a blog about my initial thoughts here: Office 2010 ? Initial Thoughts

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
    Subl1m1nal

It amazes me that 2007 is obsolete already. It seems like it just came out and a lot of people still haven't converted to it. And now they won't. I just finally started liking it 6 months ago.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    I know what you mean. It was a big jump from 03 to 07. It wasn't so bad for me, but for other users it was a pain!
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Office '03 was XP in the XP to Vista change over. Office '07 was Vista.

Hopefully, Office '10 will be Win7 in the Vista to 7 Change =).
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I still only use Office 97 features j/k
  • luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Our IT department just got done rolling out Office 2007 to all the desktops. I made a joke with one of the IT personnel that they were going to have to turn around and install Office 2010 now.

More than likely we will push it out with Windows 7 when we go down that path. I installed office 2010 this morning, and so far I like it. I watched the tech videos of the office apps, and there are definatley some new cool features.
    luckybob wrote: »
    Our IT department just got done rolling out Office 2007 to all the desktops. I made a joke with one of the IT personnel that they were going to have to turn around and install Office 2010 now.

More than likely we will push it out with Windows 7 when we go down that path. I installed office 2010 this morning, and so far I like it. I watched the tech videos of the office apps, and there are definatley some new cool features.

I don't know why a company would roll out 2007 now and yet expect to roll out 2010 in the next year or two. Licenses are expensive, you might never get 2010. (Or maybe they will roll it out right as 2013 is coming out??)
  • luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    humble2007 wrote: »
    I don't know why a company would roll out 2007 now and yet expect to roll out 2010 in the next year or two. Licenses are expensive, you might never get 2010. (Or maybe they will roll it out right as 2013 is coming out??)

With Enterprise Lic. and Software Assurance, we always have the latest version. It offers us free upgrades on all Microsoft Products under the Lic.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    as long as MS doesnt pull the same crap they did with the change from 03-07 where the file extensions changed and were not backwards compatible without a hotfix installed, then i dont care really.
    brad- wrote: »
    as long as MS doesnt pull the same crap they did with the change from 03-07 where the file extensions changed and were not backwards compatible without a hotfix installed, then i dont care really.

Yeah, it now uses a .docxx extension.

JK, still .***x
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    brad- wrote: »
    The file extension changed because it is a completely new file format called OOXML. Not changing the file extension would have caused more problems since the files aren't even recognisable as a Office document. They're actually a bunch of files that contain all your data + inserted objects zipped up.

Office has over the years changed the file format in its various applications and you've always had to either tell the creator to save in the old format or get the receiver to install a conversion plugin. The change to OOXML hasn't done anything new in that regard.