Strange Frame Relay Question

wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
Here is a strange question that I hope someone can help with. I want to set up frame relay on my small home lab. I have three 2600 series routers with WIC2T's in them. I can't afford to buy another router to do the hub and spoke setup (3 routers and 1 frame relay switch), so was wondering if I can somehow logically turn one router into two.

What I'm thinking is having one router (R1) a the hub connected to the FR switch, at the other end of the FR switch having two serial connections on the FR switch going to two physical serial interfaces on the other router (R2).

Is there a way that I can separate the two interfaces (s0/0 and S0/1) on R2, so that if I perhaps use an extented ping from the IP address on s0/0 to ping s0/1, it has to go through the FR switch, up to R1, and back again, rather than going directly accross. Could I use an ACL to do this or am I just dreaming?

Comments

• notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Can you draw a picture? I'm trying to visualize it....
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Here is a picture. Sorry not too flash, done on MS Paint. icon_redface.gif

In regards to GNS3, I've never used it and wouldn't know how. I've got the real thing so would prefer to use that if possible.
    Lab.JPG 20.9K
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Ok so your FR switch has 3 serial ports?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you've got 3 routers that you want to configure in a Frame Relay Hub and Spoke configuration you're going to need a router with at least 3 serial ports to act as your frame relay switch.

If you want one of those 3 routers to also be the frame relay switch, then that router would need 4 serial interfaces.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Ok so your FR switch has 3 serial ports?

Not yet, but that is something I can afford...if this is possible. If not, I won't bother getting another WIC.
    If you want one of those 3 routers to also be the frame relay switch, then that router would need 4 serial interfaces.
    I don't get this. Wouldn't three be enough? One to R1 (hub) and two to R2 (the spokes). icon_scratch.gif Having said that, I would probably get another WIC2T anyway if this is possible.