PDU - What does Data refer to?

mariocmarioc Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
The PDU at the Application, Presentation, and Session layers of the OSI model is referred to as simply "data".

Is "data" defined as user data, headers, or user data & payload?

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    marioc wrote: »
    The PDU at the Application, Presentation, and Session layers of the OSI model is referred to as simply "data".

Is "data" defined as user data, headers, or user data & payload?

Generally "Data" in the top 4 (Application, Presentation, Session, and Transport) layers of the OSI suite indicates the information being transfered specific to the user application. So if I was using AIM, the data would be the information the other AIM needs to interpret the message being sent.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    chmorin wrote: »
    Generally "Data" in the top 4 (Application, Presentation, Session, and Transport) layers of the OSI suite indicates the information being transfered specific to the user application. So if I was using AIM, the data would be the information the other AIM needs to interpret the message being sent.
    I thought the data part of top 3 layers from Application, Presentation and Session layers. Transport is segment, Network is packets, Data Link is frames, Physical is bits. As far as I know, once the it reach the Transport layer the 3 upper layers become data.
    I could be wrong, though.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, if you 're looking at a specific layer, "data" is considered to be everything that is encapsulated from higher layers.
  • thinguythinguy Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Data, Data, Data, Segment, Packet, Frame, Bit

3 Datas, then reverse alphabetical order for the last 4