Options

No more CCIE Lab OEQs?

aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
Cisco supposedly announced recently that they are doing away with it. Anyone have first hand info?
CCIE Wr: In Progress...
Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
Follow my study progress at Route My World!
My CCIE Thread

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    do you have a source for this? I have nothing in my mail from Cisco about it, nor are any of the other sources I would expect to be talking about such a change saying anything.

They did recently announce a waiver for the OEQ's for folks who take the Cisco 360 training solutions, are you sure that's not what you're hearing about?
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • Options
    Oh, and let me be the first to say how awesome this is.
  • Options
    I stand corrected then, and this is one case where I am very very glad to be in the wrong
  • Options
    "The time that has been previosly allocated to OEQs is now reallocated to the Configuration section, so you now have extra 30 minutes of configuration time"

hahaha, I'll bet folks would be happier if that was allocated to the Troubleshooting section
  • Options
    acidsatyracidsatyr Member Posts: 111
    Um, OEQ for R&S were never a problem for properly prepared candidate; in fact that was the easiest part in R&S.
    Now SP is something very very different.
  • Options
    acidsatyr wrote: »
    Um, OEQ for R&S were never a problem for properly prepared candidate; in fact that was the easiest part in R&S.

Well if you're a properly prepared candidate, than no portion of the exam presents a challenge ;)

I personally had no issues with the OEQ's, but I'm glad they're gone. 4 questions that you have to give an open ended answer to is a little too subjective for my tastes
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Bye-Bye Core Knowledge Section! | CCIE Blog

I'd link to my blog, but this is a bit more official, lol.

Thanks for the source. I guess anything from Petr is as close as official. Haha. Yeah, I saw someone tweet about it this morning and there was no link. So I didn't know whether it's just hearsay or if there was anything official.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options

yea, yea, yea
  • Options
    WebWideJoshWebWideJosh Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□

How is it any different for SP?

I didn't find the OEQs troublesome. They were actually quite simple. I did do some flashcards before the test to make sure I was ready for question/answer time (< 5 mins) but it doesn't compare to the grueling 3 months I spent configuring a dozen routers and switches to make sure I was ready for any single configuration requirement Cisco could throw at me.

Then again it was redundant after the written test. I more think it is a waste of a candidates time than anything. I'm interested to see how the troubleshooting part of the test is like next time.
  • Options
    By default SP OEQ are notoriously harder than in R&S. Or, that's what candidates say at least as i haven't seen them personally. Maybe they'll remove them once SP gets troubleshooting section.
  • Options
    WebWideJoshWebWideJosh Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    By default SP OEQ are notoriously harder than in R&S. Or, that's what candidates say at least as i haven't seen them personally. Maybe they'll remove them once SP gets troubleshooting section.

By default?

Are you saying that the Service Provider track is harder or they went out of their way to make the questions harder?

I'd be willing to be if people were to take both chances are they have more Routing & Switching experience than Service Provider experience.

They can only put so much content on a test.
  • Options
    By default?

Are you saying that the Service Provider track is harder or they went out of their way to make the questions harder?

I'd be willing to be if people were to take both chances are they have more Routing & Switching experience than Service Provider experience.

They can only put so much content on a test.

No, i am saying that OEQ seem to be harder with SP (more obscure at time, judging from the stories floating around) compared to RS. And that is all I'm saying. Complete experience obviously rests solely on you.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sweet - Save the "questions" for the written and let the candidate spend more time focusing on the tasks at hand.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    this is great news!! makes that August 23 lab date really not seem so bad after all!

One question though, do I get my $100 back from INE for their CK section :]

Doubt it, but just knowing that there are no CK questions to face is worth more than $100 in my opinion.
  • Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Ben sent out the email this morning.. So I guess its official...
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    this is great news!! makes that August 23 lab date really not seem so bad after all!

One question though, do I get my $100 back from INE for their CK section :]

Doubt it, but just knowing that there are no CK questions to face is worth more than $100 in my opinion.

INE is offering $99 credit for purchases $500 or more.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab