Options

Business Cards

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
Do you use them? If you do your own, do you go with flashy, not so flashy, plain? Do you list your certs or certs and logos? Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I prefer not to go to flashy. To me flashy says I'm trying too hard. I have the company's name plus my expert certifications on it. Don't want to get too much on there and make too distracting.

Honestly though I think I've handed out 3 or 4 in the last year. I suppose when I see the same people every day there isn't much need for me to be handing out my business card.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Mine is very minimalist. Company name/logo/address, my name, title, phone. No cert listing.

My old one was for just myself. It looked more like a calling card(name, number, what I do in one phrase).

I like minimalism.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I made my own from vistaprint.com (at the recommendation of a teacher). You never know when you might run into someone who is complaining about their computer problems and you can pass them your card and make a quick $50 for fixing something. (Something that they would have paid $100 for at the shop, so your both making money.)

Then you can use those experiences in your interviews. Not the best for experience, but it is better than the focal point of your previous work experience being working at McDonalds (Not knocking McDonalds, they make a good burger) Anyways, I used to give them to each person I interviewed with. And they liked them. Some didn't say much about it, but their was a couple people that I interviewed with thought it was the neatest thing and a great way to market myself. Also it is just something else to get in their hands. Maybe they don't hire you for that job, but find the card on the floor behind their desk and think that you would be a great fit for a new position.

Vistaprint has pretty cool designs and a good price tag too. I think I paid like $10 for 250 cards. (I can't possibly get rid of 250 cards, I have new certs to put on them but think it is a shame to throw away 220 cards)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Haven't done the Metal ones, but my current business cards are from PlasmaDesign (matt lam std cards) and they did a fantastic job, I've had lots of comments on the quality, etc. Design to delivery the entire process was super easy and I'd definitely recommend them - not for those on a tight budget though.
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    $489-$649 for 100 cards. The best deal you could get would be to buy 5,000 cards... and that is still going to cost you $1.54 a card.

Personally I want the gold metal business card. Nothing says "I'm awesome" more than handing out $7.09 cards.
    Decide what to be and go be it.