Options

Got a call...

dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
... from a recruiter, finally. I am just happy that I got a call after sending out resumes for over 3 months and no reply. So this recruiter calls me yesterday and me to come and see her for further talks for Network Admin position. I told her that I will call her with the time and day and get back to her. So what do I expect? She didn't tell me which company it is for, which I expected as they will not tell the company name right away.
I don't know what the description is so I am going to ask her that first and press her a little for the company name or what the company does and its location.
I am worried about the salary portion, I do not know how to negotiate so if you guys give me some pointers, it will be beneficial.
I will get to know all the details once I get there and have a talk with her.
Will keep posted.

Comments

• Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    My experience with "talks" with recruiters are basically like reading your resume to them... 95% of them have no real knowledge in IT, so they just want to meet you and ask you the basics so they can tell company X about you.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dadaji wrote: »
    ... from a recruiter, finally. I am just happy that I got a call after sending out resumes for over 3 months and no reply. So this recruiter calls me yesterday and me to come and see her for further talks for Network Admin position. I told her that I will call her with the time and day and get back to her. So what do I expect? She didn't tell me which company it is for, which I expected as they will not tell the company name right away.
    I don't know what the description is so I am going to ask her that first and press her a little for the company name or what the company does and its location.
    I am worried about the salary portion, I do not know how to negotiate so if you guys give me some pointers, it will be beneficial.
    I will get to know all the details once I get there and have a talk with her.
    Will keep posted.

It is possible they don't really have a company in mind yet. Read the resume and thought, "Hey this guy has some smarts, I bet we can make some money off of him." They probably do have a company in mind already, but they won't release that to you until after they have brought you in to take a look at you.

I don't know that you can negotiate with a contractor so much. Maybe a little, but if this is your foot in the door job don't push it. As long as they are going to pay you decently for the work (again you won't know anything about salary until the company is known, it varies with which client you will be working with and what positon you will be doing). Even if you agree with a contractor and they find a client who offers a position, you can turn it down. That could hurt your relationship if you have done all the interviews and then turn down the offer, but I did it.

I refused to attempt one job because they wanted a 1 year commitment and were going to pay $9 an hour. I don't think the recruiter minded that though, since the more I make the more he makes. (As long as you don't reject a $15/hr job when you have not experience, this might upset them.)

Another job I was offered on a wednesday night but had an interview already lined up on Thursday morning. Company A wanted me to start on monday so on Friday I had to make a decision to take Company A and make less money doing a less interesting job or take a look behind door number 2 for a higher paying job that would look better on my resume. (Not to mention the interview wasn't much about learning about me, it was about convincing me to work.) My gamble paid off and I was offered the job on Monday.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also, if you don't have really any work experience don't get too greedy. Take what you can and get 6 months of experience on your resume. Even if it is help desk and you don't want to do it. It will open many doors later. Also this is a tough job market, if it takes them 2 months to find you your first interview you should probably take it. If they are sending you off on interviews every week, then again you can afford to be a little more picky.

Edit: And don't trust your recruiter to find you a job. Keep your own search up as well. Finding a job for you isn't number 1 on their priority list, it could fall in the we will get to it when we get to it category.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    h.embassh.embass Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Heyy congrats on getting call :D Just try to negotiate once at your end.. But in case recruiter does not relent
    then it is better that you accept the job and then you can always look outside for options afterwards since you
    have been waiting for response since last three months.