Options

Lotus Notes/Domino

xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
I learned in my interview that the job I'm about to take uses Lotus Notes company wide. Since I've never laid eyes on this software I'd like to read up on it so as not to fumble around like an idiot. :D Can anyone recommend a good book on Lotus Notes and/or Domino?

How common is this software by the way? This is the first company I've come across that uses it.
CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V

Comments

• Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I've worked with a few places that use Domino/Notes for various reasons. It probably will be a little bit of a learning curve if you come from an exchange environment, but the sound communications/messaging practices are similar regardless of platform. There is an art to working as a domino designer, and I know a handful of people that make a great living doing such work. You may want to check out the IBM Redbooks at the link below:

IBM Redbooks | Lotus

There are a number of features/addons that you may be required to implement/maintain. Applications such as iNotes (similar to OWA), Sametime (IM Client), Notes Traveller, etc can be great but also can cause some late night headaches.... Good luck!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    we still have lotus company wide. It is good for Databases, yet email function sucks big time! It's not difficult to learn at all. once you see it, you will be like "I worried for this?"
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Nice....the basics from A to Z....and they're free :D

I'll be doing desktop support so I'm sure most of my dealings will just be with the client. I just don't like going into a situation blind. If I have any idea what to expect, I like to read up on it beforehand.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    I learned in my interview that the job I'm about to take uses Lotus Notes company wide. Since I've never laid eyes on this software I'd like to read up on it so as not to fumble around like an idiot. :D Can anyone recommend a good book on Lotus Notes and/or Domino?

How common is this software by the way? This is the first company I've come across that uses it.

It's fairly common, and was much more common just a few years ago. I see it in most companies where I do work, and in fact where I am this week is a heavy user.

As far as a book goes, it's tough to recommend one not knowing exactly your role and what that will require. If you're simply expected to be a user of it then you likely don't need to learn much other than you can find in a simple user-focused book, or in some of your new employer's training around how they use the tool. On the other hand, if you are being asked to support, configure and administer a Notes solution, then you'll likely need to learn quite a bit more.

The aforementioned link given to IBM will likely lead you down more of an admin-type path rather than a user-type path.

MS
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    elphrank0 wrote: »
    we still have lotus company wide. It is good for Databases, yet email function sucks big time! It's not difficult to learn at all. once you see it, you will be like "I worried for this?"

I would agree with this. The most difficult thing to learn is how to add databases, create replicas, and such to a Lotus Notes client. Great for databases but it's a horrible e-mail client as mentioned. icon_tongue.gif

Edit: Sametime IM is kind of cool as well...
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    elphrank0 wrote: »

+1

Once you get used to it (adding DB's and Creating Replicas), you will get the hang of it. Getting the outside sales and engineers to replicate is where most of my issues come from. Spend alot of time editing the ACL's for databases. I do miss the Exchange expirence myself.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Several jobs I interviewed for used lotus notes, which I also hadn't use. Now I use it on a daily basis. It isn't very user friendly, but it is simplistic and easy to understand. Can't wait until we go to exchange for email. (Only talks of it, so it could be ages off or never happen.)
    Decide what to be and go be it.