Options

Windows 7 Home Premium User Account

RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
Hi All,

I have Windows 7 Home Premium installed on my Dell Inspiron 1545.

On the Windows Log on Screen, I have my personal user account & guest user account options available to login.

I have my forgotten my password on my personal user account which has admin rights.

When I login using the Guest Account (No Password) I do not have any permissions to change anything, ie: Reset the password.

What can I do to reset or obtain the password?

:)

Comments

• Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    If you didn't create a password recovery disk you are SOL. Reinstall the o/s.

What to do if you forget your Windows password
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here's a recent thread with some suggestions on what to do
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/windows-7-exams/53720-new-computer-set-password-forgot-password.html

If you have a system restore point set before you set up these accounts you can do a system restore is about the only thing it suggests beyond reinstalling the OS. When you get this problem fixed make sure to create a password reset disk so you can avoid this problem in the future.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could just boot into your computer as the Administrator and reset it
  • Options
    Built in administrator account is disabled by default.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Built in administrator account is disabled by default.

Not if he boots into safe mode
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Or try WinternalsERD, or ophcrack to brute force it.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    Not if he boots into safe mode

I agree. Might need ctrl-alt-del once you get there. I don't rember if that is Vista, 7 or both but just pressing enter for a password should work in not previously set. Hyrens boot CD has a password clear on it also besides Hyper-Me' suggestions.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    humdingy02humdingy02 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use the boot CD - Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. It works with Vista, so it should work with 7. It's password reset only, not recovery. You can also enable the Administrator account. With a Home edition though, you may not be able to turn it back off (no access to the Local Users & Groups section of Computer Management).
    WGU - BS, IT Security (starting Feb 1st, 2012)
    Remaining: LUT1,QBT1,DFV1,BOV1,HHT1,QLT1,RIT1,IWC1,IWT1,DJV1,KET1,TPV1,MGC1,CVV1,CJV1,KFT1,CNV1,SBT1,RGT1
    Completed: WFV1,CLC1,INT1,CUV1,CQV1,BNC1,GAC1
    Transferred: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,AXV1,CPV1,INC1,CSV1,COV1,CTV1,DHV1,BVC1
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you do reset the password for your account then you'll lose the crypto keys attached to that account. If you've got encrypted files or credentials then you may lose access to them if you don't have them backed up.

[edit]Home Premium doesn't even have EFS so yeah, ignore that stuff above[/edit]
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    If you do reset the password for your account then you'll lose the crypto keys attached to that account. If you've got encrypted files or credentials then you may lose access to them if you don't have them backed up.

[edit]Home Premium doesn't even have EFS so yeah, ignore that stuff above[/edit]

But even if it did. I don't know any way to crack a password and keep the keys without some sort of brute force attack.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
    OPH Crack done the trick!

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    humble2007 wrote: »
    But even if it did. I don't know any way to crack a password and keep the keys without some sort of brute force attack.

There mighit not be, but whats the harm in downloading the free ohpcrack CD and letting it deduce the password?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    There mighit not be, but whats the harm in downloading the free ohpcrack CD and letting it deduce the password?

I have never used it on 7. Never had any luck with it on vista. Now XP, there it could crack one of them in like 5 minutes sometimes lol.

But I agree, no harm in trying. Just don't let the hopes get too high.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    humdingy02humdingy02 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    humble2007 wrote: »
    Never had any luck with it on vista.

That's about right.
    XP used LANMAN, versus Vista and 7 that use NTLM instead. Ophcrack should not work on Vista or 7, unless you have the massive NTLM rainbow tables to support it.
    WGU - BS, IT Security (starting Feb 1st, 2012)
    Remaining: LUT1,QBT1,DFV1,BOV1,HHT1,QLT1,RIT1,IWC1,IWT1,DJV1,KET1,TPV1,MGC1,CVV1,CJV1,KFT1,CNV1,SBT1,RGT1
    Completed: WFV1,CLC1,INT1,CUV1,CQV1,BNC1,GAC1
    Transferred: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,AXV1,CPV1,INC1,CSV1,COV1,CTV1,DHV1,BVC1
  • Options
    RS_MCP wrote: »
    OPH Crack done the trick!

Good top see that!