Options

Taking 83-640 Today

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Hopefully I do OK. I've studied and labbed a lot. While reviewing this last weekend I kept finding more things I was weak on. Did a LOT of practice tests (Measure-up from the MS Press book, ExamForce, and U-Certify) scoring in the 700's and then scoring higher on retakes due to remembering questions I had reviewed.
I used the MS Press self paced training kit, Sybex, and Labsim.
5 Hours and counting..tick..tock..tick..tock
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    ecstasyofagonyecstasyofagony Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! Let us know how it went. This is my next test and I am a bit nervous on the use of VM's vs sims.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm sure you passed. You don't want to make memorization your primary means of studying, but if you pick up a little it still might help you in the test.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Well, it's done.
    All that labbing I had done and still choked a little on the sims. I couldn't figure how to do 3 of the tasks. The way they were worded I still don't know how to do 2 of them and frankly can't remember what the questions even asked. 1 of the Sim tasks I just brainfarted on as I remembered how to do it while I was doing the multiple choice questions. I'd done it several times on my VM's at home while studying.
    I honestly thought, while doing the Multiple choice questions, that I was gonna fail. There were about 5 or 6 really easy questions then 10 or 15 I was confident about and the rest were just plain hard to figure out. 1 question on certificate services stated there were 3 answers to be checked but I even checked when I got home and 4 of the answers were required to do it so I don't know if I got that question right or wrong.
    Final score 783. Should have scored higher but it's a pass.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ecstasyofagonyecstasyofagony Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Those sims can be brutal. I remember choking on a couple for the CCNA. You did it though, grats!
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I'm sure you passed. You don't want to make memorization your primary means of studying, but if you pick up a little it still might help you in the test.
    I actually did all the labs in the MS Press book and the labsims
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations, a pass is a pass and that's what's important. I'm studying for 70-642 now and 70-640 is my next exam.
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Pass is a Pass, it's true!

Here's a small piece of advice (while too late for you, and you passed without, might help others) for the sims..

Windows Help! I brainfarted too on at least one task in each sim, and one where I knew what I needed, but for the life of me couldn't find it anywhere.. Sites, no. Users, no. $#(*&$#. Pulled up the Help menu, typed in the requested action, and it guided me in the right direction.. Very real life, imo.

earweed wrote: »
    Well, it's done.
    All that labbing I had done and still choked a little on the sims. I couldn't figure how to do 3 of the tasks. The way they were worded I still don't know how to do 2 of them and frankly can't remember what the questions even asked. 1 of the Sim tasks I just brainfarted on as I remembered how to do it while I was doing the multiple choice questions. I'd done it several times on my VM's at home while studying..
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    I have always been told the help menu's were disabled. They were on the Office 2007 exam I took last year as well.
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have always been told the help menu's were disabled. They were on the Office 2007 exam I took last year as well.

nope in the 83-640 you have access to windows help so feel free to use it!
  • Options
    etbjr182etbjr182 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! as everyone else said pass is a pass icon_mrgreen.gif
    Currently studying for 70-640 :study:
  • Options
    Piers wrote: »
    Congrats! Pass is a Pass, it's true!

Here's a small piece of advice (while too late for you, and you passed without, might help others) for the sims..

Windows Help! I brainfarted too on at least one task in each sim, and one where I knew what I needed, but for the life of me couldn't find it anywhere.. Sites, no. Users, no. $#(*&$#. Pulled up the Help menu, typed in the requested action, and it guided me in the right direction.. Very real life, imo.
    I used it, believe me. I was running out of time (and you have a lot of time) and didn't get done with the three tasks as I went ahead and clicked complete before my time was up. Would have hated for it to throw out everything if I was doing something when the time ran out.
    I started the test at 1 PM and was in my car, happy to have passed, at 3:45 so I used a lot of time on the sims.
  • Options
    They are for the limited simulations. The Vista Configuration test I took in January had so much disabled I could almost only go in the correct direction. The 83 series of MS tests use what MS calls an emulator which is basically a VM you're logged into. About the only limitation you have is by what you know how to do, what you can gleen from windows help, and oh yeah I didn't try it but I don't think you can google to find how to solve a problem..lol
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Glad to hear some feedback on the sims. The sims on my CCNA whooped me pretty good on the first sitting. Knowing what to expect helps out tremendously.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    nope in the 83-640 you have access to windows help so feel free to use it!

Too bad you don't have internet access too. I never get much help from the help menus so I stopped using them.
  • Options
    jalu6jalu6 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm set to take this on Friday. Did you notice any technical problems while taking the exam? I've read a lot of horror stories online about the sims crashing and people having to reschedule. I'm a little worried myself because the Prometric center I took my last few exams at closed so I'm trying out a new one.
  • Options
    Other than extemely slow loading times, I have never had a problem.
  • Options
    jalu6 wrote: »
    I'm set to take this on Friday. Did you notice any technical problems while taking the exam? I've read a lot of horror stories online about the sims crashing and people having to reschedule. I'm a little worried myself because the Prometric center I took my last few exams at closed so I'm trying out a new one.
    One thing different with this one is that the testing center even had a warning on their schedule for the test that if they launched the test early the sims would probably not work corrrectly resulting in a failure. So don't start your test early.