Options

Failed "the Beast" 619 out of 700

josanojosano Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
There were many about WSUS, which sucked because the study material does not cover as much as the exam. It asked as to how *****

This my third time taking it:
  1. Took it just to take it to take advantage of 2nd shot last year (score 415 (old exam))
  2. Studied for over a month and got the same exam and same score (incredible!!)
  3. Today took the new exam and scored 619 felt much more confident, taking second shot soon 14 days. icon_study.gif
Study resources Exam cram, Testout (does not cover WSUS), Sybex book (content is outdated)

What got me was the IPSEC templates, WSUS, some tricky DNS ****, ****** *****, one subneting question.

Just got to keep studying....................

Comments

• Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unlucky! Keep icon_study.gif and you will be fine :)

BTW - please edit your post and remove the exam specifics; it violates the NDA by giving details on what questions you had.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why not try the MSPress book also?
  • Options
    I'll pass by barnes and noble and see if there is stuff there that i could use........... icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The good thing is you know what to work on. Search the internet for wsus and try to set up your own lab to implement it. Good luck on your next try.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I could only wish more test questions were on wsus =(. i recently did a no notice wsus demo with no problems

hows the examcram book? is it just the studyguide, or there a big book and a PracticeExams book. saw some reviews and they were not so well.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    swatswat Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I remember mine being a bit heavy on WSUS as well, which was one of the areas I focued on the least.

Have you tried CBT Nuggets at all? I found them to be a great training aid - not just for this exam but others as well. (I promise I'm not a plant!)

What about Transcenders?

How's your lab setup? Did you have any trouble on the sims or mostly just the multiple choice content?

Good luck man, you can do it!
  • Options
    TheSweetnessTheSweetness Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tough break. 619 is only a couple questions off!
  • Options
    thatguy85thatguy85 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ahh, sucks to hear man! I failed on my first try with a 649 so I know your pain of only failing by a few questions!

WSUS isn't really too tough to pick up on. DNS is the area you have to worry about. setup a lab and install WSUS, play around with it, deploy some updates to a test machine, etc etc. That's what I've been doing in preparation for my retake.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Sorry to hear about the fail. Look into technet. You can look in the 293 section, I put a thread with virtual lab links.

Here's the trick, I am working on the 293 test, the PKI/CA/templates portion using a link that I posted there. I then can use that virtual lab, where there are already 2 virtual systems set up, and run other related labs. MS has extended the lab times to 90 minutes and their lab manual is right in the V lab window.

MS has it all set up and since you already have an MCP, you can go to technet and search for virtual labs. Testout does have WSUS, maybe it is the version you are using. Also, search for related links to videos in Technet, they may be a bit outdated, but the basics are still covered. The below link covers clustering, but if yo look to the left side of the page, there are links to many topics.

Try this link to do the searches:

https://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/WebCastEventDetails.aspx?EventID=1032343982&EventCategory=3&culture=en-US&CountryCode=US

Good luck!
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    josano wrote: »
    There were many about WSUS, which sucked because the study material does not cover as much as the exam. It asked as to how *****

This my third time taking it:
    1. Took it just to take it to take advantage of 2nd shot last year (score 415 (old exam))
    2. Studied for over a month and got the same exam and same score (incredible!!)
    3. Today took the new exam and scored 619 felt much more confident, taking second shot soon 14 days. icon_study.gif
    Study resources Exam cram, Testout (does not cover WSUS), Sybex book (content is outdated)

What got me was the IPSEC templates, WSUS, some tricky DNS ****, ****** *****, one subneting question.

Just got to keep studying....................

The beast has been killed......... finally after the 4th time taking this stupid test......... passing score 700......lol pass is a pass
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Congrats.

How did you prep in between this exam and the previous one?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass! The beast is no more.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif Well done !
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Monster kill! Congrats! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Tommy42Tommy42 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your glorious victory! Looks like you made good use of the Second Shot program.

What's up next for you in certifications? Are you taking a break from exams for a while or is it right on to the next one?
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Congrats on the pass and yes a pass is a pass!!!! See you in the 293 forums then?
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Out of 700?

Out of 900
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    Out of 900

Surely should read "619 out of 1000" (61%)