Options

Win7 - not genuine

sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
So one of my in-laws bought a Laptop at some flea market with Windows 7 already installed. Now, after booting she gets an error that it "did not pass genuine windows validation" and then a black screen.

I haven't played with Win7 yet, but it sounds like she got duped here. What are my options for her to keep Win7? Does she have to buy the software now at full price?

(by "options" I don't mean any hacks... looking for legit ways to get it up and running)

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    So one of my in-laws bought a Laptop at some flea market with Windows 7 already installed. Now, after booting she gets an error that it "did not pass genuine windows validation" and then a black screen.

I haven't played with Win7 yet, but it sounds like she got duped here. What are my options for her to keep Win7? Does she have to buy the software now at full price?

(by "options" I don't mean any hacks... looking for legit ways to get it up and running)
    The only legit way to do this is to buy a new key, or otherwise legally obtain one. (MSDN or something like that.)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    humble2007 wrote: »
    The only legit way to do this is to buy a new key, or otherwise legally obtain one. (MSDN or something like that.)
    A MSDN or Technet one wouldn't strictly be legal either since they're not supposed to be for production use.

Microsoft at one point did a trade in program where you could get a real key + media if you submitted certain proof of you purchasing a counterfeit copy. The media would have to be very convincing however to actually count for this offer. You can't just send in a disc with hand written labels or anything like that. They should have a number or website address to see what if any offer Microsoft has running. Going to the Microsoft page for this doesn't bring up anything for Windows 7 so they may not have an offer.
  • Options
    humble2007 wrote: »

So, buying a new key = me buying the software in Staples or BestBuy, right? Or can You actually just buy the key... and what to they cost?
  • Options
    So, buying a new key = me buying the software in Staples or BestBuy, right? Or can You actually just buy the key... and what to they cost?
    You'd need to reinstall the laptop when you get the new key. You have no idea what has been done to the existing installation of Windows. It may be a beta, RC or retail and it may have patched or replaced files.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    You'd need to reinstall the laptop when you get the new key. You have no idea what has been done to the existing installation of Windows. It may be a beta, RC or retail and it may have patched or replaced files.

Ah, that's true. Looks like she's buying the OS software then.

Thanks all.
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go to newegg or tigerdirect and get an OEM version of Windows 7. It's cheaper than retail.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Reseven wrote: »
    Go to newegg or tigerdirect and get an OEM version of Windows 7. It's cheaper than retail.

That's not permitted by the license. OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer...this would not be the case here, sorry.

The OP's only option is to purchase a valid Retail copy (since it is a home user nor a coporate users where they could utilize an Open Value or Open Business License).

OR install UBUNTU or some sort of OpenSource OS.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    No, he can purchase an OEM copy. Though I dont think brick and mortars carry them; they are readily available from newegg, etc.
  • Options
    A mail order supplier I sometimes use claimed that to cover the OEM conditions, you just need to buy hardware with it. At one point that could be a $2 mouse but I just checked they don't care any more. You can just buy an OEM copy with no hardware.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    Wait, so I can get this for her then? Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD at TigerDirect.com

Win7 Ultimate 64-bit, OEM and it will work just fine? I can wipe what's there, and install using this, etc.

It's either going to be Ubuntu or this... I MUCH prefer not to put Ubuntu on someone elses machine, because I know I will be getting calls up the wazoo over it, but I just know she is going to complain over $200, as if I am personally respnsible for what they charge. Ah, the inlaws... :)
  • Options
    Make sure that the laptop can actually take a 64 bit version of Windows before buying it. It may have a 64 bit CPU but you may find that getting 64 bit drivers for all the hardware is a nightmare or impossible.
  • Options
    So I found this http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/oem.asp
    and this Is it OK to use OEM Windows on your own PC? Don't ask Microsoft | ZDNet on microsoft's own forums. (links provided by the MVPs there CAN I BUY AN OEM SYSTEM BUILDER VERSION OF WINDOWS 7?)

I'll see what she wants to do, and go from there.
  • Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    presumably at some point it did have a legit os install. What is the sticker on the back? Alternatively, go to model/product number and look it up on the manufacturers website. a $25 factory image disk is much better than the cost of an os.

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    No, he can purchase an OEM copy. Though I dont think brick and mortars carry them; they are readily available from newegg, etc.

Negative.

However, I see several of you have all commented that one 'can' do this.

Read the License agreement.
    This box is not a 1st assembly, nor is the original MFG reselling it. It was purchased from a flea market (or such) as a resold item.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Places sell them online for businesses (and some individuals) who build/assemble their own workstations/servers for resell. The OEM license dies with the machine. Change out too many components and it is no longer 'orginal'.

The OP ask what he is to do? It would be best to give him the correct advice and not tell him he can do something that will put him in violation of the End User agreement which he or his family member could be liable for.

You are hidden behind your screen name and won't be the one answering questions to MS if something additional fails for him down the line. It could be that he may never speak with MS about this, but his best options are to purchase a full package product or use open source.

Like MS or not, as an IT "Professional" cheating on exams or cheating Software Companies (whether you like them or not) is still cheating/stealing.

Follow the license agreement.
    FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Wait, so I can get this for her then? Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD at TigerDirect.com

Win7 Ultimate 64-bit, OEM and it will work just fine? I can wipe what's there, and install using this, etc.

It's either going to be Ubuntu or this... I MUCH prefer not to put Ubuntu on someone elses machine, because I know I will be getting calls up the wazoo over it, but I just know she is going to complain over $200, as if I am personally respnsible for what they charge. Ah, the inlaws... :)

Recommend she purchases from a Large vendor like Dell, Lenovo, HP and catch any one of the MANY deals which are ongoing. This gets her current equipment, at least a year warranty, and legit licensing.

The benefit of the FPP, is that license is then transferable if this current machine dies. She can uninstall then legally install it on another system (another used system if she desires provided the hardware supports the OS).

And it is not that the OEM won't work...it is that it is NOT LICENSED for how you are inquiring to use it, which makes the unit not properly licensed.

....but what do I know with nearly 3 decades of experience and over half in licensing...
    icon_rolleyes.gif

regreting the moment I even found this tread and bothered to answer ....
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Licensing for Do-it-yourselfer AKA "Hobbiest"
    Licensing for Hobbyists
    There is a growing market for "do-it-yourself" home PC hobbyists who assemble PCs from components for their own use. Microsoft retail software licenses are the appropriate licenses for the do-it-yourself market. OEM System Builder software is not intended for this use, unless the PC that is assembled is being resold to another party.

What MS says about OEM software:
    OEM System Builder License
    Use of OEM System Builder software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License:

The software is intended for preinstallation on a new personal computer for resale.
    The software requires the assembler to provide end-user support for the Windows software, and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed.

Q. I would like to build PCs for my company and use OEM System Builder software for the operating system. Can I do this?

A. OEM System Builder software must be preinstalled and then resold to another party. If you are using the PC within your organization, this "resale" requirement will not be met. In addition, as a system builder preinstalling OEM System Builder software onto new PCs, this requires that you grant the end user license terms to the third party acquiring the PCs from you. If you are distributing the PCs within your organization, you can’t grant the end user license terms to yourself.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Plantwiz +1

Why are any of you, some of you MS certified assuming it's OK to purchase OEM dvd's online for a second hand laptop?

There is only one solution to this issue, tell the inlaws unless they have the OEM dvd's that came with the laptop from the reseller, they will need to purchase a retail copy of Windows 7.

I got a new laptop recently, came with OEM dvd's, I would not sell these online as they are for the laptop. Not to mention the fact from Windows Vista onwards once the EULA is on the device it is bound to that device. I also purchased Windows 7 ultimate retail last year and that sit's on my custom built PC (for obvious reasons). I also have a technet sub, and as tiersten mentions, this is not a legitimate way to license production pc's either, these are for lab's/development/testing.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    OR install UBUNTU or some sort of OpenSource OS.

+1

Hell, +100000000000
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    +1

Hell, +100000000000

Yes, installing an unfamiliar OS on my in-laws system which will not allow them to easily install retail software a happy relationship will make.

I suggest that in addition to doing this you buy a fancy pen for signing the devorce papers.

If this is just a resold brand name laptop (HP, Gateway, Acer, etc) all of the major manufacturers sell their discs for around $40.00. I can provided the proper number to call, if it is required. If not, tell them they need to buy the retail copy. I would also suggest a confrontation with the vendor. Get the product key (if one was used), get a copy of the guy's business card by going and asking questions like you want to buy a laptop and then say "Look. My in-laws bought a laptop here and it's copy of Windows 7 is giving me genuine advantage errors. What do we need to do to fix this?"

You need to find out first exactly what he is claiming the laptop includes. If he is not claiming it comes witha full version of Windows, then you are stuck. If he is claiming it comes with a full version of Windows then you continue and tell him about the issue your in-laws are having. If he says he won't do anything, take pictures, document the situation and report him to the BSA and MS. Also talk to local news organizations.
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    cnfuzzd wrote: »
    presumably at some point it did have a legit os install. What is the sticker on the back? Alternatively, go to model/product number and look it up on the manufacturers website. a $25 factory image disk is much better than the cost of an os.

John

Ohh, this is a good idea! Yep, the factory disk will have the image you need, it will have the OS, drivers and all that crap software that you'll need to uninstall but that would be the exact image for that laptop direct from the manu just like the day the laptop was purchased!