Think like a manager

dorawedorawe Posts: 106Member
Everyone,
One of the suggestions I see often to help with understanding the exam is to "think like a manager". What that means to me, is to consider cost/benefit, mostly non-technical/specific, and to weigh decision impacts on the rest of the business. Can you give me any more pointers? I'm taking the CISSP exam this saturday.........

Comments

  • tpatt100tpatt100 Posts: 2,989Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you have the right idea. Also safety of your people over rides risks for costs is what I was told
  • dorawedorawe Posts: 106Member
    Did this help you with the exam? I've been on the technical-side for over 20 years, so changing my mind-set takes alot of effort....
  • dynamikdynamik Posts: 12,314Banned ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also, consider formalized processes and procedures.

    i.e. if you suspect you're under attack or there's a virus outbreak, don't act on impulse, but follow IH/IR procedures.

    There are many questions that have multiple correct answers, and you're instructed to choose the best. Make sure that the one you pick best satisfies all aspects of the question.
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Posts: 137Member
    dorawe wrote: »
    Everyone,
    One of the suggestions I see often to help with understanding the exam is to "think like a manager". What that means to me, is to consider cost/benefit, mostly non-technical/specific, and to weigh decision impacts on the rest of the business. Can you give me any more pointers? I'm taking the CISSP exam this saturday.........
    I don't like the term "think like a manager" because this can become very subjective....depending who've we've had as managers.

    The running theme throughout this exam is IT Governance in a Business environment held accountable to laws and regulation.

    When in doubt...

    #1 safety
    #2 following laws and regulations
    #3 best interest of the company
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • dorawedorawe Posts: 106Member
    Excellent, that's just what I needed to hear.................I also don't like the 'think like a manager' phrase, I'm sure I'd fail because I'd only be concerned with getting coffee and that doughnut with the sprinkles (at a number of my former employer sites)

    Also, do the CISSP gods require a live chicken sacrifice??
  • colemiccolemic Posts: 1,568Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    Doesn't hurt. :) Good luck!
    Working on: CCSP, definitely, maybe. On the twitters: @mcole1008
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Posts: 137Member
    dorawe wrote: »
    Excellent, that's just what I needed to hear.................I also don't like the 'think like a manager' phrase, I'm sure I'd fail because I'd only be concerned with getting coffee and that doughnut with the sprinkles (at a number of my former employer sites)

    Also, do the CISSP gods require a live chicken sacrifice??

    Where are you taking it on Saturday?
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Posts: 2,621Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dynamik said it best when I was talking to him on the phone after he took the CISSP.

    "Say you have a hypothetical question in which the building is literally burning to the ground. Pick the correct answer:

    1.) Pull the fire alarm
    2.) Evacuate personnel
    3.) Shut off utilities
    4.) Get management's approval before calling 911"

    If you picked 4 you're thinking like a CISSP :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    [email protected]
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • dorawedorawe Posts: 106Member
    I am taking it in Norfolk, VA
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Posts: 137Member
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Dynamik said it best when I was talking to him on the phone after he took the CISSP.

    "Say you have a hypothetical question in which the building is literally burning to the ground. Pick the correct answer:

    1.) Pull the fire alarm
    2.) Evacuate personnel
    3.) Shut off utilities
    4.) Get management's approval before calling 911"

    If you picked 4 you're thinking like a CISSP :)

    I think this is a bad example. As per readings, safety and humanitarian aid/assistance should always come first as its part of emergency response.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Posts: 2,621Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    cabrillo24 wrote: »
    I think this is a bad example. As per readings, safety and humanitarian aid/assistance should always come first as its part of emergency response.

    No kidding, it's a joke. Your sarcasm detector is broken.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    [email protected]
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • dorawedorawe Posts: 106Member
    I guess, in my case, since I'm getting ready to take the exam for the first time, I lean on everything you guys say for support. Sarcasm is fine, but I honestly was trying to figure out why in the world anyone would choose that answer. Until I take the test saturday, my sarcasm meter is broken as well.
  • dynamikdynamik Posts: 12,314Banned ■■■■■■■■□□
    The point was you may be presented with answers that seem like perfectly plausible alternatives but may not meet the criteria of the question. I obviously can't relay any specific questions from the exam and made that analogy ridiculously absurd because I thought it was both funny and relevant. I did go into a little more detail here a little while ago.
  • dorawedorawe Posts: 106Member
    Yeah, I read that post, thanks for putting in all of that information. I agree that it was absurd, and was going to keep my mouth shut until cabrillo24 made his post on this thread. I'll make sure to completely disect the questions and find the given answer that most-completely answers the question. Hopefully the tech in me doesn't override the 'manager'!!
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Posts: 137Member
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    No kidding, it's a joke. Your sarcasm detector is broken.

    The joke would have been more relevant if that was the correct answer. Picking answer #4 is in no way thinking like a CISSP, as that would be a wrong answer, hence why I stated this was a bad example to use. My "sarcasm detector" is not "broken". This site is used by a lot of people who come on here looking for guidance and to elaborate on certain concepts. Things like this can end up causing some confusion.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • dorawedorawe Posts: 106Member
    ANYWAY..........thanks to everyone that posted their suggestions, tomorrow is the big day, and I'll get to my reviews now. Wish me luck!
  • botbillbotbill Posts: 48Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    good luck. I am planning to take it in July.
    working on cissp, ceh and pmp
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Posts: 137Member
    dorawe wrote: »
    I am taking it in Norfolk, VA
    Hope you did well. I sat the exam there as well today. Finished at the 5 hour mark. Proctor was an old co-worker of mine.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • dynamikdynamik Posts: 12,314Banned ■■■■■■■■□□
    You guys didn't get together for beers afterwords? You're doing it wrong ;)

    Good luck guys!
  • dorawedorawe Posts: 106Member
    I finished at 5 hours 15 minutes............I didn't realize you were there. All I can say is WOW........
    and now the wait begins....
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Posts: 137Member
    dorawe wrote: »
    I finished at 5 hours 15 minutes............I didn't realize you were there. All I can say is WOW........
    and now the wait begins....
    Figured you had enough to think about, last thing you needed was the awkwardness of knowing someone in the exam room was from the board. I walked out feeling good about it, so we'll see. Looking to finish up my MCSA in the mean time to keep my mind off these results.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • dorawedorawe Posts: 106Member
    I tell you what, I could have done without the kid in the lobby that was throwing a hissy-fit, I was sitting right by the door, so it was a big distraction. Luckily it only lasted a few minutes..........
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Posts: 137Member
    dorawe wrote: »
    I tell you what, I could have done without the kid in the lobby that was throwing a hissy-fit, I was sitting right by the door, so it was a big distraction. Luckily it only lasted a few minutes..........
    I know right! I lost my concentration for a second when Eddie said "I need everyone's attention, and announced how much time was remaining" I was thinking "really?"
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • dorawedorawe Posts: 106Member
    Was that the first time that you have taken the CISSP exam? It was my first, and after taking the test, I began to wonder if participating in a boot camp would have helped. I studied by myself exclusively, using various books and test exams.
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Posts: 137Member
    dorawe wrote: »
    Was that the first time that you have taken the CISSP exam? It was my first, and after taking the test, I began to wonder if participating in a boot camp would have helped. I studied by myself exclusively, using various books and test exams.
    I took it in 2007, didn't pass, scored a 694, close but I definitely was nowhere prepared as I was this time around (hopefully that translates to success). The first time I think luck played a huge factor in me getting that score.

    Don't doubt yourself at this point, will just drive you crazy :)
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • aethereosaethereos Posts: 55Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    dorawe wrote: »
    I finished at 5 hours 15 minutes............I didn't realize you were there. All I can say is WOW........
    and now the wait begins....

    A guy next to me finished in less than 3 hours. It took me 4.5 hours, with 3 exam passes and quadruple-checking the bubbles. Afterward I was gasping for air like being underwater a little longer than humanly possible. I don't know if I could sit any longer with a brain freeze like that.
  • dorawedorawe Posts: 106Member
    Yeah, I drove home in a fog.....felt like a zombie for the rest of the day. I took my kids to Busch Gardens the next day, which really helped clear out the cobwebs.
  • uajesusfreak99uajesusfreak99 Posts: 4Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed in December of 2007 in Dallas, TX, but my certification date was not until January 2008 because I had to resubmit my application for full certification. I can confidently say that I had zero idea whether I had passed or failed when I walked out of that exam room. I studied my ( )( ) off for the 4 months leading up to the exam, using the Shon Harris AIO (don't remember what edition), CISSP for Dummies (good for high level, but not enough info) and cccure.org. However, I'm finally looking at moving forward into the ISSAP concentration. In case you guys missed my post elsewhere on the board, the ISC2 Official ISSAP CBK Guide is due out on 7/26/10. Here's the link to pre-order on Amazon:

    Amazon.com: Official (ISC)2® Guide to the ISSAP® CBK ((ISC)2 Press) (9781439800935): Harold F.…

    Anyway, hope you guys passed with flying colors!
Sign In or Register to comment.