Options

Question from book

bwillfordbwillford Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
Had this question in the book I am using to study for 70-270 that has me a little confused.. Guessing its some sort of typo or I am missing something...

11. A dual-boot computer hosts both Windows 98 and Windows XP Professional. You need to download an 8 GB data file that will be used by both operating systems. What file system should you use to format the host volume?

a. FAT
b. FAT32
c. NTFS
d. HPFS

FAT32 only supports data files up to 4GB, Windows 98 doesn't support NTFS... So.. ?

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FAT 16 (option A)?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    If that is the case then the book still has an error, sats FAT aka FAT16 aka VFAT supports max of 2gig files...
  • Options
    What does the book say the correct answer is?

NTFS won't work, because windows 98 can't read it. It does have a large enough max file size.

HPFS has a max file size of 2GB
    It also can't be accessed directly, only over a share.

Fat 16 can only have a volume size of 4GB, and a max file size of 2GB.

Fat 32 has a max file size of 4 GB

Maybe the author forgot that ntfs wasn't supported by 98. Maybe not even forgot, maybe just didn't think about it.

Didn't know the exact size of fat16 when i answered before. Just knew that fat32 and ntfs wouldn't work.

With the knowledge you have shown, nothing they could throw you on the test would phase you.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    FAT = 2 gig total
    FAT16 = 4 gig total
    FAT32 = 32 gig total

Source TESTOUT....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    miller811 wrote: »
    FAT = 2 gig total
    FAT16 = 4 gig total
    FAT32 = 32 gig total

Source TESTOUT....

There are limitations to both the maximum volume size, and the maximum file size.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    There are limitations to both the maximum volume size, and the maximum file size.

his original question wasicon_redface.gif ....FAT32 only supports data files up to 4GB, Windows 98 doesn't support NTFS... So.. ?

pointing out his original understanding was wrong....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Not really, FAT32 allows for partitions maximum size is 32gigs, the max file size is 4gigs...
  • Options
    Test out is assuming that you are formatting with xp. A Fat32 partition can be up to 8 TB, however there are two limitations. The first is the MBR, which has a limitation of 2TB. This can be easily fixed by using a GPT instead. The other limitation is with XP. XP can only be formatted with a maximum of 32GB since after that range there is a performance degradation, Microsoft decided with XP to limit it. If you have, say a 40GB drive, it can still be FAT32, but will need to be formatted with windows 98 or something else.

Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP

Another note, is that the 32GB restriction can be overcome. Simply use the command line format command. For the 70-270 test however, just consider that using the command prompt doesn't work. Because in the real world sometimes the command line doesn't work.
  • Options
    YogithecoolYogithecool Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    FAT 16 (option A)?
    Option A is the correct answer according to my knowledge because ntfs System will not be supported by 98 hence forth I am going with option A
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Option A is the correct answer according to my knowledge because ntfs System will not be supported by 98 hence forth I am going with option A
    Ok, we're clear that '98 has no support for ntfs (or does it?) but what made you go for fat and not for fat32?
  • Options
    And especially having in mind that the MS Press guide is ademant about using FAT32 for dual boot (with Win 98 in this case), it seems that the question is more on "do you remember that you have to use FAT32 formatting of boot partition in case of dual booting" more than on capacities of FAT and NTFS.
    In real world however, the big file lands on the NTFS partition and a third- party driver provides access of Win98 partition to that file. Assuming of course you find anybody dual booting win 98 and XP and is in right mind...
  • Options
    Test out is assuming that you are formatting with xp. A Fat32 partition can be up to 8 TB, however there are two limitations. The first is the MBR, which has a limitation of 2TB. This can be easily fixed by using a GPT instead. The other limitation is with XP. XP can only be formatted with a maximum of 32GB since after that range there is a performance degradation, Microsoft decided with XP to limit it. If you have, say a 40GB drive, it can still be FAT32, but will need to be formatted with windows 98 or something else.

Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP

Another note, is that the 32GB restriction can be overcome. Simply use the command line format command. For the 70-270 test however, just consider that using the command prompt doesn't work. Because in the real world sometimes the command line doesn't work.
    I think the possible point of this question is on the FAT's limitation of file sizes not partition sizes. It is clearly stated in some of the discussions on technet that maximum file size that FAT32 can read is 4GB, something along the bwillford's line...