Options

Master list of B&M colleges offering online IT degrees

Comments

• Options
    peacepapeacepa Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How about James Madison University (Tier 1)?

MS - Information Security - JMU InfoSec - Home
    $718 per credit
    $23,694 (33 credits)
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Add RIT in there as well. Here is the list of online programs. As mentioned, they are in Tier 1 category ranked # 9.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    BocaRatonITBocaRatonIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone have a list like this for Associates programs?
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fort Hays State University

Information Networking & Telecommunications (Computer Networking) - Fort Hays State University

$3,942/year in-state
    $12,339/year 0ut-of-state
    $170/credit hour-online

Bachelor of Science in Information Networking and Telecommunication Computer Networking
  • Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    You should also add Southern New Hampshire University

Southern New Hampshire University - Best College - Education - US News

Information Technology (M.S.); Southern New Hampshire University
    Masters in Information Technology
    Tier 1 (Rank 99)
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Boston University has a good online program as well, although it is quite expensive. Around $30k for a Masters degree.

Boston University Online Graduate Degree Programs: Online Master Degree of Science in Computer Information Systems at Boston University.
  • Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
  • Options
    katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm going to be starting FIU's MS in IT program in the Spring

Florida International University - Tier 2

Master's in Computer Science (30 cr)
    Master's in Information Technology (30 cr)
    Master's in Telecommunications and Networking (30 cr)
    Master's in Management of Information Systems (36 cr)

Cost of Credit (Resident) - $ 371.66
    Cost of Credit (Non-Resident) - $ 875.74
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    I'm considering to undertake one of those online BSc degrees soon, as there aren't any viable options for what I want to study in my current country as I am an expat here.

This thread has been very helpful in checking out different schools and programs.

I vote sticky as well!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would also like to see this thread as the Sticky. :) More and more B&Ms are offering online degrees and this list only touches a small percentage of them.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    The board of regents of the university system of Georgia offers Bachelor Of Science in IT aka WebBSIT

Georgia::WebBSIT

You must be enrolled at one of the 5 member institutions offering the program, you can see the list of schools at the site. apparently in-state and out-of-state tuition is the same at $310 per credit hour.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just saw where UNC-Greensboro is now offering their MSITM curriculum online, starting this fall.

Master of Science in Information Technology and Management, Bryan School of Business, UNCG

I don't know about tuition. I'm certain you don't get a break of you're out of state, though.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N.C. State has a Masters in CS and Harvard (Extension) has a B.S. in CS and M.S. in IT.

I 2nd to sticky this thread.
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    I just saw where UNC-Greensboro is now offering their MSITM curriculum online, starting this fall.

How does UNC-Greensboro compare to, say, UNC-Chapel Hill? (No, I'm not being sarcastic or facetious...) I am just curious though.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    This is an awesome list, thanks! I definitely want to do an online program because I work at a NOC during graveyard on weekends. On a slow night, I sometimes spend 6 hours of free time to study. Getting paid to attend graduate school! Awesome!
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    East Carolina and Illinois/Springfield looks like strong possibilities for me after I finish up with WGU. (I'm quite sure others will be discovered down the road, but these two look good to me right now.) I wonder how accommodating those two schools will be with WGU.

This post is GOLDEN, and should be a sticky! Thank you!
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    drew726 wrote: »
    This is an awesome list, thanks! I definitely want to do an online program because I work at a NOC during graveyard on weekends. On a slow night, I sometimes spend 6 hours of free time to study. Getting paid to attend graduate school! Awesome!

Great way to look at it! HAHA! :D
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    How does UNC-Greensboro compare to, say, UNC-Chapel Hill? (No, I'm not being sarcastic or facetious...) I am just curious though.

UNC-G is definitely one of the "little sisters" in terms of prestige, but it's a good school. Bryan School of Business is fairly well respected regionally if not nationally. I would expect the program overall to be on par with the East Carolina offering.

I'm looking at East Carolina (because I'm in NC, it's the cheapest option for me, and my previous manager did his masters online there and had positive things to say about it), and UNCG (I'm familiar with the school since I did my undergrad there years ago, and it's within driving distance if I think I'd be better taking a course in the traditional setting for the harder courses).

I also like Illinois-Springfield; they were one of the very first b&m's to offer this type of thing. They used to offer in-state tuition to all online students (I assume they still do). I was actually enrolled 7 years ago and dropped the first day because I had recently found out I had kid on the way and other stuff in life happening at the time... figured I'd have more time to work on it later. Boy was I wrong!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    videguyvideguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am just finishing up my Bachelors of Science in Information Technology with a concentration in Database Management from South University. Not a bad program. A bit pricy like many of the online programs are. They have campuses through out the south. They are owned by Education Management Corp.
    Bachelors of Science in Information Technology - Database Administration Concentration
    Summa Cum Laude - April 2011

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    UNC-G is definitely one of the "little sisters" in terms of prestige, but it's a good school. Bryan School of Business is fairly well respected regionally if not nationally. I would expect the program overall to be on par with the East Carolina offering.

I'm looking at East Carolina (because I'm in NC, it's the cheapest option for me, and my previous manager did his masters online there and had positive things to say about it), and UNCG (I'm familiar with the school since I did my undergrad there years ago, and it's within driving distance if I think I'd be better taking a course in the traditional setting for the harder courses).

I also like Illinois-Springfield; they were one of the very first b&m's to offer this type of thing. They used to offer in-state tuition to all online students (I assume they still do). I was actually enrolled 7 years ago and dropped the first day because I had recently found out I had kid on the way and other stuff in life happening at the time... figured I'd have more time to work on it later. Boy was I wrong!

Thanks. I'm not totally discounting online options from other B&Ms throughout the country, including Illinois-Springfield, University of Maryland, UMass-Lowell (for the Masters), etc.

I plan on checking out the in-state/near state [NYC] options I have first as well as other logistics. My in-state/near state options I can do off-line, as I'm relatively close from my job/home. Online, I have to consider price and other criteria. It's a decision I can't make lightly, because unlike my BS endeavor, this one will be start-to-finish. Can't afford to waste time/money this time... :)

Thank you once again.

I also wish for this thread to be a sticky.
  • Options
    geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    "NSA and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) jointly sponsor the National Centers of Academic Excellence in IA Education (CAE/IAE) and CAE-Research (CAE-R) programs. The goal of these programs is to reduce vulnerability in our national information infrastructure by promoting higher education and research in IA and producing a growing number of professionals with IA expertise in various disciplines."

National Centers of Academic Excellence - NSA/CSS

The School I am getting my MA through (Capitol College) was one of the original members. There are now over 100 and many offer distance as well as B&M options. There are even some two year schools that offer an AA degree in Information Assurance, none of which are online only (that I could find).
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Stevens institute for technology(where i currently am enrolled in my Masters program which i am doing online)

Also you have Drexel listed for undergrad. But they have graduate programs as well for online learning.
  • Options
    ericcumbeeericcumbee Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Georgia Southern University
    Georgia Southern University Online
    291 dollars per credit hour

GSU is has about 20k students, its a regional university in the State of Georgia, its also a Carnegie Doctoral - Research University

I can not say to much about how the online bit works with GSU. i got my BS of IT the old fashioned way.

And we also have a great Football team.
    Georgia Southern University Class of 2008
    BS of Information Technology- Network Admin
    A+, Security+
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Stevens institute for technology(where i currently am enrolled in my Masters program which i am doing online)

Also you have Drexel listed for undergrad. But they have graduate programs as well for online learning.

which program?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    East Carolina and Illinois/Springfield looks like strong possibilities for me after I finish up with WGU. (I'm quite sure others will be discovered down the road, but these two look good to me right now.) I wonder how accommodating those two schools will be with WGU.

This post is GOLDEN, and should be a sticky! Thank you!

I've been doing some research with Illinois and they require a 3.2 GPA from your undergrad. I am waiting for them to get back to me on how WGU would work for them.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Thank's to jtoast's post from the Capella thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/62904-highly-impressed-capella-university-2.html#post503261

I was able to find even more schools that are not only Brick and Mortar, but AACSB-accredited where one can get an MBA online. Some have been mentioned, some others weren't. The last school, Central Michigan U, even has an SAP concentration!
    GetEducated.com's online degree rankings are based on a Fall 2009 survey of AACSB accredited masters degrees in business administration (Distance MBA). Costs were valid at the time of collection (Fall 2009).

Online MBA Rankings AACSB - Top Affordable Best Distance MBA | Ratings & Rankings | GetEducated.com

There's a LOT of schools on that list that haven't even made the thread........you could spend hours going through that list in your pursuit of a good school that's online that offers a MBA online (I'm sure there would be other Masters programs as well.)

Thank you jtoast! Wouldn't have seen this without clicking on your Oklahoma State U. post. :)
  • Options
    Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    quick question.

lets say i do obtain an online masters from a distinguished state university, for example UoColorado or UoTexas, UofMichigan etc etc.
    say a potential employer views your resume and knows that you haven't stepped foot there once. How do you explain it? do you just mention that it was online even though its the same diploma as if you sat there? Obviously its no university of pheonix but ive been wondering. What would HR think?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    quick question.

lets say i do obtain an online masters from a distinguished state university, for example UoColorado or UoTexas, UofMichigan etc etc.
    say a potential employer views your resume and knows that you haven't stepped foot there once. How do you explain it? do you just mention that it was online even though its the same diploma as if you sat there? Obviously its no university of pheonix but ive been wondering. What would HR think?

Since a good number of TEers love bullets so much (for resumes, me too....) icon_lol.gif
    • You can offer to have sent the official transcript from the B&M school upon request from the employer (be it HR or the hiring manager that is interviewing you).
    • You can also offer to show writing samples for some of your classes. Personally, I plan on keeping all of my coursework on my thumbdrive.
    • Do some homework to help bolster your argument that the online education model is becoming an accepted model for a working adult who wished to further his/her education. One such point would be if it was not a viable model of granting a degree, univerisities such as Penn State, Drexel, U. of Colo, or U. of Texas wouldn't offer them.
    • Make some valid points that the online model of receiving an education is actually much harder than the traditional model of receiving an education.
    After about another decade, or two......a lot of degree programs are either going to be entirely online OR have some sort of blended/hybrid program, like what Harvard Extension School offers (their degree programs can't be done entirely online). The online model is not going away...
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    which program?
    I'm enrolled in the Masters of Information Systems program.