Options

Master list of B&M colleges offering online IT degrees

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That is my standpoint as well. I am not stopping working to pursue school. I don't want to shift to academia... I just want to do adjunct teaching, which I will be able to do with my MS when I complete it, if not sooner. I am actually thinking about going to my alma mater with a proposal to join the VMware IT Academy and teach it... or assist them in teaching their current Cisco Networking Academy courses.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I stand corrected. :)

Still though, I have time to pursue a doctorate (Ph.D or otherwise.) I just can't quit my job for time off to do "research." That stipend that the school gives you to live on isn't going to feed a family or pay your mortgage. In fact, from what folks have told me it's barely enough to feed yourself.

If one wasn't already working in the field, I'd say to heck with it do it. But for someone who's already in the field...I feel academia might be losing out to folks who would want to put in time for research, but just not full time. If that means it takes 5 years instead of 3....then so be it. Otherwise, I'd be content with just a masters. Since I'm already at a university, I should have no problem getting an adjunct gig. (emphasis on should)

I agree with all your points. Keep in mind that even after you dedicated those 6 yrs full time to get a PhD, you will start from the bottom again because it's a different career (i.e. your previous experience will not count), and you will have to spend years doing research and publish papers.

True, it won't feed a family properly for 6 yrs, and it's more suitable for freshers, I agree. I think the only point of a professional doctorate is to continue education, which can be done without a professional doctorate, so it's kind of pointless. I'd rather get a technical masters then an MBA if I really have the time and money or start a business rather than spending money on more degrees. You can do adjunct with Masters (sometimes even without Masters).
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    That is my standpoint as well. I am not stopping working to pursue school. I don't want to shift to academia... I just want to do adjunct teaching, which I will be able to do with my MS when I complete it, if not sooner. I am actually thinking about going to my alma mater with a proposal to join the VMware IT Academy and teach it... or assist them in teaching their current Cisco Networking Academy courses.

That's a good plan you got there, and I think you do not need a PhD for that, unless you want to change your career. Adjunct is a good idea, and you have a very reputable masters (UMUC). As for professional training, I'm a certified SUN instructor and I occasionally train companies through my employer on Solaris administration, you don't need masters to do that at all, you have enough experience to teach Cisco networking and VMWare courses.

• Options
    typfromdacotypfromdaco Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

I have been looking into different Master's degree and I am really interested in this degree offered by University of Maryland University College. I am currently in the Army as a 25N and am decent at setting up Cisco switches and Routers and would love to learn more. The problem with IT as an enlisted soldier is that the equipment is set up by other people and we expected to just turn everything on and communications work. I have applied to WGU in the Network Administration program but really have no experience with a server besides using Cisco Callmanager. Looking at this masters program, what does everyone think about it, would you consider it pretty network intensive and beneficial?

Information Technology: Telecommunications Management - Master of Science - Graduate School - UMUC
    2015 certification goals: [ X] ICND2
  • Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    1. Course Information Suite, Course Catalog, Class Schedule, Programs of Study, General Education Requirements, GenEd

The above is supposed to be a Tier 1 school I believe, and one of the best online programs (also pretty difficult to get into).

Apparently. icon_smile.gif

uil.jpg 17.9K
  • Options
    certhelp wrote: »

old link, they changed it now: http://courses.illinois.edu

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    certhelp wrote: »

Hopefully, you're not one to give up that easily... ;)
  • Options
    nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I would add Davenport's MSIA program to the list.
    The program can be completed completely in class or online and it is program has been certified as a CAE by the NSA.

Information Assurance, MS | Davenport University

So someone like myself who has no B&M schooling (ECPI Grad) can earn there BS completely online? This looks interesting especially if I can then transfer and get my Masters from one of the more well known schools in NC....
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Auburn Grad Program link is dead:

Here is what I believe to be the correct new one:

College of Business | Master of Science in Information Systems/MBA
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here is another. I got my bachelor degree in computer science emphasis information assurance from here this past fall. I have not found a job yet and was considering a masters degree.

Sam Houston State University
    MS- Information Assurance and Security
    36 Hours

Information Assurance and Security - Graduate Studies - Sam Houston State University
    Title: Sr. Systems Designer
    Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
    Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP
  • Options
    just_in_timejust_in_time Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I received my Bachelors in Information Systems Management online at Hodges University and will start my Masters in Information Systems Management next month. Very good school, all online.
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
  • Options
    ratchokeratchoke Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know a online path that I can take to completed the MS-Networking & Systems Administration at RIT?

My original plan was to go to WGU, but I want a school with more name recognition. And RIT is definitely one of those schools, and would be willing to spend the time/money if it was fully online in achieving that.

In RIT's admissions it states that All applicants to RIT's graduate programs must hold—or currently be completing—a four year baccalaureate degree, or the U.S. equivalent, granted by an accredited college or university. Decisions on graduate selection are made by the college offering the program. Does anyone know if any of those BS schools listed would be transferable into RIT? Does it have to be the same accreditation? Because I currently go to school in the west coast at a community college.
  • Options
    ratchoke wrote: »
    My original plan was to go to WGU, but I want a school with more name recognition. And RIT is definitely one of those schools, and would be willing to spend the time/money if it was fully online in achieving that.

I attend NJIT, and I did not have an issue with acceptance. I got two As in the two grad-level courses I attended last semester. RIT is more well known than NJIT, but I would imagine if I wanted to attend RIT, I'd be able to do so. Keep in mind though, that I'm gunning for an MBA...I did want a MS in IS, but I would have needed Calculus. Even if you did consider WGU to do your BS (and it would count, but more on that later), you might need a Calc 1 class for RIT.
    In RIT's admissions it states that All applicants to RIT's graduate programs must hold—or currently be completing—a four year baccalaureate degree, or the U.S. equivalent, granted by an accredited college or university. Decisions on graduate selection are made by the college offering the program. Does anyone know if any of those BS schools listed would be transferable into RIT? Does it have to be the same accreditation? Because I currently go to school in the west coast at a community college.

When you see "accredited" you need to read it as "regionally accredited." As long as your school is "regionally accredited" then you should be fine. WGU is regionally accredited. However, the value in their regionally accreditation comes from their degree. If you attend WGU and want to transfer out, it becomes problematic. However, the degree will count toward a MS program anywhere. However, you need to see if your intended program wants you to have calc in your background. If you don't have calc, you're going to need to get it. Otherwise, they make you take undergrad calc at graduate-level prices (Not cute...not cheap.)
  • Options
    I attend NJIT, and I did not have an issue with acceptance. I got two As in the two grad-level courses I attended last semester. RIT is more well known than NJIT, but I would imagine if I wanted to attend RIT, I'd be able to do so. Keep in mind though, that I'm gunning for an MBA...I did want a MS in IS, but I would have needed Calculus. Even if you did consider WGU to do your BS (and it would count, but more on that later), you might need a Calc 1 class for RIT.

When you see "accredited" you need to read it as "regionally accredited." As long as your school is "regionally accredited" then you should be fine. WGU is regionally accredited. However, the value in their regionally accreditation comes from their degree. If you attend WGU and want to transfer out, it becomes problematic. However, the degree will count toward a MS program anywhere. However, you need to see if your intended program wants you to have calc in your background. If you don't have calc, you're going to need to get it. Otherwise, they make you take undergrad calc at graduate-level prices (Not cute...not cheap.)

I am goign to take a Pre-Calc, Calc, and Linear Algebra at a community college hopefully that will work? I'm also now leaning more towards Bellevue for the B.S. in Information Technology (Regionally Accredited). WGU is DETC/Regionally accredited, but the person I spoke to, a person live chat via website from RIT, stated that DETC will be rejected. So kind of up in the air about having a degree that is both.

And thank you for your reply and input.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    I am goign to take a Pre-Calc, Calc, and Linear Algebra at a community college hopefully that will work? I'm also now leaning more towards Bellevue for the B.S. in Information Technology (Regionally Accredited). WGU is DETC/Regionally accredited, but the person I spoke to, a person live chat via website from RIT, stated that DETC will be rejected. So kind of up in the air about having a degree that is both.

And thank you for your reply and input.

WGU is both DETC and regionally accredited. The live chat person you spoke to was talking about institutions that were ONLY DETC accredited. Most places will ignore you if you have a school that is DETC accredited, but in WGU's case, it has both.

Please read below. This was copied from my unofficial transcript (which I had to send to PMI as part of my PMP audit process...(which I was cleared btw...) As I said, the DETC accreditation would only be a concern if WGU only had that as it's accreditation. If that were the case, you and I would not be having this conversation, as I would never have attended WGU had WGU not been regionally accredited.
    Accreditation
    Western Governors University (Online University | Online Degree Programs, Accredited Bachelor's and Master's) is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities and is
    nationally accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). The WGU Teachers College is accredited by the National
    Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). WGU nursing degree programs are accredited by the Commission for Collegiate
    Nursing Education (CCNE). The Health Informatics program is accredited by the Commission of Accreditation for Health Informatics and
    Information Management Education (CAHIIM).

As for your math, yeah, the PreCalc and Linear Algebra will help....but the Calc I will be what is important for a school like RIT.

Listen, for what it's worth, I had doubts about WGU myself. But in the ~9 months that I've been a WGU alumnus, I was able to apply to a graduate certificate program at NJIT, gone on a couple of interviews, and as of today been cleared of a PMI audit that allows me to take the PMP exam. (You need a Bachelor's and 4500 experience hours in projects to be allowed to take the exam. I sent PMI my transcripts, and they gave me the go ahead to schedule the exam.)

The school counts...take that for what it's worth. If you have any other concerns about the degree, go to the WGU Q&A thread and post your questions, concerns. You will find many WGU alumni and students on this board that will help allay them.

Speaking personally...I never cared where I got my BS from. I only cared that my MS or MBA would be from a place (like NJIT) that would matter to employers. Sounds like for you, that's RIT.
  • Options
    WGU is both DETC and regionally accredited. The live chat person you spoke to was talking about institutions that were ONLY DETC accredited. Most places will ignore you if you have a school that is DETC accredited, but in WGU's case, it has both.

Please read below. This was copied from my unofficial transcript (which I had to send to PMI as part of my PMP audit process...(which I was cleared btw...) As I said, the DETC accreditation would only be a concern if WGU only had that as it's accreditation. If that were the case, you and I would not be having this conversation, as I would never have attended WGU had WGU not been regionally accredited.

As for your math, yeah, the PreCalc and Linear Algebra will help....but the Calc I will be what is important for a school like RIT.

Listen, for what it's worth, I had doubts about WGU myself. But in the ~9 months that I've been a WGU alumnus, I was able to apply to a graduate certificate program at NJIT, gone on a couple of interviews, and as of today been cleared of a PMI audit that allows me to take the PMP exam. (You need a Bachelor's and 4500 experience hours in projects to be allowed to take the exam. I sent PMI my transcripts, and they gave me the go ahead to schedule the exam.)

The school counts...take that for what it's worth. If you have any other concerns about the degree, go to the WGU Q&A thread and post your questions, concerns. You will find many WGU alumni and students on this board that will help allay them.

Speaking personally...I never cared where I got my BS from. I only cared that my MS or MBA would be from a place (like NJIT) that would matter to employers. Sounds like for you, that's RIT.

Thank You, will definitely look into it more closely. I just am really excited and anxious at the same time to finally start my B.S. and eventually onto an M.S. But since I need to work full-time to help support family -- unless I magically win the lotto some time soon -- I am stuck with the online route. Otherwise I'd just be at CSUMB!

Your info is definitely appreciated!
  • Options

How is the NJIT program so far? Do you like it?
  • Options
    k.o.r.k.o.r. Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Though I finally decided upon WGU, I strongly considered attending Fort Hays State.

Tuition for Fall 2012 - Summer 2013

Undergraduate:
    $178.30 per credit hour

Graduate:
    $241.35 per credit hour

MBA:
    $400.00 per credit hour

• Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Just thought I'd add a few more to the list:

Johns Hopkins University
    MS: Information Assurance
    Information Assurance | Johns Hopkins University Engineering for Professionals

The admissions requirements are kind of steep (need 2 semesters of Calc...)

Columbia University
    MS: Systems Engineering
    http://www.cvn.columbia.edu/systems_MS.php
    Requires GRE

Brandeis University
    MS: Information Security
    Master of Science in Information Security | Rabb Graduate Professional Studies | Brandeis University
    Doesn't require GRE
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd add a few more to the list:

+1 reputation

excellent find! I didn't find those back when I was searching

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    +1 reputation

excellent find! I didn't find those back when I was searching

Thanks! I'm currently searching for a good MS program, so I thought i'd save everyone some time and contribute here...

Anyway, one more (since I haven't seen it in this list):

Carnegie Mellon University
    MS:IT - Technology Management or Information Assurance
    MSIT Distance Track
    Requires GRE or GMAT
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    Thanks! I'm currently searching for a good MS program, so I thought i'd save everyone some time and contribute here...

Anyway, one more (since I haven't seen it in this list):

Carnegie Mellon University
    MS:IT - Technology Management or Information Assurance
    MSIT Distance Track
    Requires GRE or GMAT

yeah I went through this process this year. In my opinion, CMU is the best program out there but it's very expensive

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    yeah I went through this process this year. In my opinion, CMU is the best program out there but it's very expensive

I whole heartedly agree - I can't think of another online program that rivals CMUs academic rigor and stature. It's the program I'm shooting for... I just hope I'm an impressive enough applicant to get accepted. If so, I've got the GI Bill to help take care of the costs.
  • Options
    I whole heartedly agree - I can't think of another online program that rivals CMUs academic rigor and stature. It's the program I'm shooting for... I just hope I'm an impressive enough applicant to get accepted. If so, I've got the GI Bill to help take care of the costs.

I think admission (specially for distance learning programs) isn't very tough. Go for it if you have GI bill!

• Options
    Time to add another...

Stanford
    MS: Computer Science (with concentrations in many CS related disciplines)
    http://scpd.stanford.edu/public/category/courseCategoryCertificateProfile.do?method=load&certificateId=1240861#searchResults
    Requires GRE
  • Options
    Northwestern
    MS: Information Systems (with several concentration options)
    https://www.scs.northwestern.edu/program-areas/graduate/information-systems/
    Doesn't require GRE

Or, for those that want the international flavor...
    University of London
    MSc: Information Security
    http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/royal-holloway/information-security-msc-postgraduate-diploma
    No listed program requirements (i.e. GRE)
  • Options
    George Washington University
    Master of Professional Studies in Security and Safety Leadership; Strategic Cybersecurity Enforcement
    Focus in Cybersecurity | College of Professional Studies | The George Washington University
    No GRE requirement