Options

the age old question-

whutupperwhutupper Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is a suit the new norm for interviewing, the last time I interviewed a button down, tie and khakis were sufficient (back in the boomin 90's), seems to me this is the "uniform" of the IT crowd.

Essentially if you are not interviewing for a six figure position, no need to look like it.

I've always gone on the assumption interviewers are more interested in my qualifications than ability to make a winsor knot.

how sad, 10 people have viewed this, and no response. That makes me a sad panda.

Comments

• Options
    hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    I;ve never worn a suit. Then again, I've never interviewed for a very high level position.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was specifically told by a recruiter that I should wear a suit or at least a jacket for my interview tomorrow. This is the first time in years I have worn a jacket to an interview.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I wore a jacket once, they told me to take if off if I wanted, lol. The recruiter pushed me into it.

I'm not a big believer in a suit for an interview. It could make a difference, but it seems silly to me.
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    I've always worn a suit :)

When I work I normally wear the suit minus the tie :D

But depends on the role you're going for, and the company you're in
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've always worn one, and most places tell me it's not necessary. However, it always seems to leave a good impression, and you know what they say about first impressions...
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I take the conservative route and wear a suit and tie to any interview for a professional position, including systems / network admin jobs. What I wear at the office, on the other hand, tends to be on the way opposite end of the spectrum. Even if I knew that was the company dress culture, for me an interview is a formal presentation. As a professional who's been on both sides of the interview table, that's what I generally expect.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I never don't wear a suit.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Always wear a suit. It can't hurt.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've always worn a suit. I figure that it couldn't hurt my chances at getting the job. With the current job I have now, I wear jeans (sometimes shorts), t-shirts, and flip flops. But, I still wore a suit to my interview. Obviously, this choice didn't hurt me.

I believe there are more managers out there that may discriminate a candidate who DOESN'T wear a suit than there are managers who don't hire individuals just because they DID wear a suit. But who knows, that may just be my paranoid side talking.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All major IT jobs I have interviewed for I have worn a suit for. I don't know what it is but for me it gives me a little swagger boost haha.
  • Options
    ALfromSTLALfromSTL Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I always wear a suit during the interview then jokingly ask to take the jacket off to get more comfortable "since the first impression has been made"

It also depends on the interviewer. If they are wearing a suit or even just a shirt and tie, I will keep the full suit on.
  • Options
    krusty83ukkrusty83uk Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My very first IT position as a support jr I was told by my boss a few months later that the pushing factor that gave me the job was because I wore a suit to the interview. None of the other candidates did.

Bare in mind it was for a small company and they had a unbelievable strict dress code.

I always wore a suit to job interviews from being 16 and going for a weekend job at Burger King to 3rd Line support roles I have always turned up wearing a suit.

So that goes to show it doesn’t hurt to wear a suit.

If you think of it this way. If it wasn’t for that job I wouldn’t have got my next job which gave me the expernice for my current job which I love. I believe I would still be working in Tesco's stacking shelves if it wasnt for that support jr role.

It goes to show it doesn’t hurt to wear a suit to an interview as they say in the Dr Pepper adverts “what the worse that can happen?"

Russell
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I once went for an interview for a job I could careless about. Just wanted an interview experience. I didnt ware a suit or tie. The interviewer at the end said to me one last point I would have expected to see at least a tie!!!
    I didnt get the job but wasnt all that bothered.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It never hurts to wear a suit. However, it has been confirmed anecdotally that it sometimes hurts not to wear one.

Draw your own conclusion... :)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always wear a suit unless instructed to wear otherwise. Nothing wrong with looking too good. Worst case is they tell you that you don't need it, which can help for that first day, first morning, oh crap what do I need to wear dilemna.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok, there's a few things to consider. What is the industry of the company you're going to, what position are you goin for, and who you're interviewing with. When i interviewed @ fashion company(my previous job), i went dressed in a dress shirt, tie, sweater, & slacks. i put on a blazer/suit jacket for my second interview which was with the VP of IT. When i went to interview with my current job, a banking & healthcare software solutions company, i was more dressed up.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Always a suit except the one time I forgot it coming in from out of town. Still go the job though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.