Options

VMware internet access

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
I just installed both a server 2003 vm and a xp vm. Neither one of them can open a webpage, however they can ping and receive a response. The correct place is responding too, so why can't I get to the site?

I tried resetting the winsock, but that didn't do anything.
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    It's a DNS issue. You have three options to setup a network in VM environments.

1) External (Your VMs are a part of your network like they were in a physical machine)

2) Internal (Your VMs are in a VLAN) This is most likely how you have yours setup. You need to either change it to an External environment or setup DNS correctly within the Internal environment.

3) Private (Your VMs don't have access to your network nor the Internet). This also might be your issue. If this is the case then you will not have Internet access.

Open a command prompt within your VMs and type "ipconfig /all" and look at your DNS.
  • Options
    I don't think it is a DNS issue. For 1, when I ping www.google.com it resolves the IP. And for 2, when I enter that IP (happens to be the same IP that I get when I ping google on my host machine) it still doesn't get me anywhere.

I am using NAT. (And the 3 options are bridged, host only, and NAT. I have never heard them referred to as external, internal, and private).
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I don't think it is a DNS issue. For 1, when I ping www.google.com it resolves the IP. And for 2, when I enter that IP (happens to be the same IP that I get when I ping google on my host machine) it still doesn't get me anywhere.

I am using NAT. (And the 3 options are bridged, host only, and NAT. I have never heard them referred to as external, internal, and private).
    External=bridged, internal=NAT, private=host-only
    Temporarily set one of the VMs to bridged and see if it works. Make sure to configure valid DNS and gateway entries... if you have DHCP on your physical LAN then it will probably be fine.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Temporarily set one of the VMs to bridged and see if it works. Make sure to configure valid DNS and gateway entries... if you have DHCP on your physical LAN then it will probably be fine.

I'll give that a try tonight. I've used VMware with NAT before with no troubles. Only difference is now I'm on a windows 7 host machine. Think that has anything to do with it?
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll give that a try tonight. I've used VMware with NAT before with no troubles. Only difference is now I'm on a windows 7 host machine. Think that has anything to do with it?
    That little tidbit might just be key. Are you running VMware Workstation 7.x?
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□

I'm posting from Windows XP inside of a VM running on Windows 7.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    How is the network configured? Bridged or NAT?
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    NAT or Bridged networking?
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    I think its a firewall problem. Except I don't know that I have a firewall running. I disabled the only one I know of through my Norton on my host machine.

When I run "telnet www.google.com 80" it should give me a blank screen. But instead it times out.
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »

Can I see the tcp/ip settings on your VMware Network Adapter VMnet8 connection?
  • Options
    I'll repeat what I said here: Are you running VMware Workstation 7.x? Previous versions of Workstation have problems exactly as you describe when running under Win7 (there are workarounds but upgrading is easiest).
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    I'll repeat what I said here: Are you running VMware Workstation 7.x? Previous versions of Workstation have problems exactly as you describe when running under Win7 (there are workarounds but upgrading is easiest).

BINGO

There is the problem, I'm using workstation 6.5

Edit: (Sorry, I missed your post a little higher up.)

Do you know a link to some workarounds?
  • Options
    BINGO

There is the problem, I'm using workstation 6.5

Edit: (Sorry, I missed your post a little higher up.)

Do you know a link to some workarounds?
    I can dig some up (a Google search should present you some VMware Communities posts about it) but the best suggestion I can give you is either upgrade to Workstation 7.0 for $99 (you can also try the Workstation 7.1 Release Candidate too if you want: VMware Communities: VMware Workstation Beta) or look at using VirtualBox; the workarounds for 6.5.x are most accurately termed "hacks" and were a pain in the ass to deal with (you had to reset them after every reboot, etc) until 7.0 hit beta. :)
  • Options
    I bought VMware 7 last night. Just an FYI, for being a student you can get nearly a 50% discount. It brings the update to like $50 and the full version to $113. Not a bad little thing there.

Thanks for the replies, I can get online now!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Where are you a student? You could probably put that info in your details or your signature.
    At WGU we got it for free, but nice to know if I want another copy I can get it cheap. I'm currently using 6.5 on one machine and version 7 on another, I bridged them so I could lab the certificate services and federated services better (more servers and a couple clients available) for my 70-640 studies.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VMWare products like Server (tested by myself) and Workstation (reported by others), have problems with NAT on Windows 7 host (VMware Communities: Windows 7 - both X-64 and X-86 NAT ...
    I managed my Server 2 to make it work with Bridge only, although my linux guest VMs worked fine before with NAT into Windows XP host... but unfortunately, my employer decided to upgrade all desktops O.S. to Win7 icon_sad.gif
    I also tried some hints like setting ICS on Windows 7 and use NAT for 192.168.137.0 network, but didnt work for me (fixing VMWare NAT problems on Windows 7 FlorianLR’s Blog), only ping and DNS worked, but no other type-access like telnet/ssh/ftp/http (and is certainly not a Win7 firewall issue)
  • Options
    Thanks Marco, the problem is already solved. Astorrs suggested the same thing so I upgraded to vmware workstation 7. All is well in the world now, except for the fact that I'm 200 pages behind in reading than I had planned to be. Mostly due to unrealistic goals, but also impacted with spending time working on vmware.
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm glad you solved your problem, but mine is still remaining ... I have the free version, vmware server 2.0.2
    Thanks Marco, the problem is already solved. Astorrs suggested the same thing so I upgraded to vmware workstation 7. All is well in the world now, except for the fact that I'm 200 pages behind in reading than I had planned to be. Mostly due to unrealistic goals, but also impacted with spending time working on vmware.
  • Options
    marco71 wrote: »
    I'm glad you solved your problem, but mine is still remaining ... I have the free version, vmware server 2.0.2

I never liked server, it is great that it is free. But I always found it to be a pain. Isn't VMWare server 3 out? Could be wrong but I thought it was.

If you are a student somewhere, maybe you can take advantage of buying workstation for $113. Yes it is a bit spendy, but I have bought textbooks for more than that and then never cracked the cover on them for class. At least I use VMWare. Well worth the money.
  • Options
    Version 3 is out but I don't know if that will solve his problem but he could try. Version 3 also lets you create new vm's on it. I haven't tried it, just read about it as I use Workstation almost exclusively.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Version 3 is out but I don't know if that will solve his problem but he could try. Version 3 also lets you create new vm's on it. I haven't tried it, just read about it as I use Workstation almost exclusively.
    VMware Server is still on 2.x, it is VMware Player that is at 3.x now.
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    OOPSicon_redface.gif