Options

Disk Imaging

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
I am in need of software to image our laptop disks, i,e Ghost, Acronis etc, i would just like some input from everyone on what they prefer and suggest, i need to image around 40 machines, so i would like to setup a workstation that we can use to hold the images, i had worked on a similar setup before but i cannot remember how it was setup.

Comments

• Options
    alanieralanier Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    we use fog at work. works great. its free. here is the link
    http://www.fogproject.org/
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We use RDeploy, though sometimes we might have issues with network drivers.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've used ghost. Worked well except it doesn't work on multi partitioned disks and I have heard of it not working with vista/7.

Acronis I have never used but heard good things. It is also very expensive.

I have used fog, and was the eventual winner for my imaging needs.

PROs: It's free, works great, can access the GUI from any web browser on your network
    CONs: Runs on linux, so you need a linux box and some linux knowledge to get it going.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    billybob01 wrote: »
    I am in need of software to image our laptop disks, i,e Ghost, Acronis etc, i would just like some input from everyone on what they prefer and suggest, i need to image around 40 machines, so i would like to setup a workstation that we can use to hold the images, i had worked on a similar setup before but i cannot remember how it was setup.
    You didn't document your past work? icon_scratch.gif

jk, Acronis is what I use, works great.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    You didn't document your past work? icon_scratch.gif

jk, Acronis is what I use, works great.

+1 for Acronis, it has made my life so much easier :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    Thanks for the feedback guys, what version of Acronis do i need in order to image mutiple machines (not all at once)
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have used Ghost as a Ghost Cast server and was able to image multiple machines at once. I had no problems with Ghost - I have used versions 10-15 & they all worked fine for me.
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    I use ghost and FOG.

Slowly migrating everything over to FOG as we speak.
  • Options
    StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've used Acronis for several years it is a great product.