Need a Bigger Access Server

boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
I have a 2509, but need a 2511. I am looking at a 2511-RJ. How does that work? Just make a rollover cable with RJs on both ends?

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I have a 2509, but need a 2511. I am looking at a 2511-RJ. How does that work? Just make a rollover cable with RJs on both ends?
    Yes. You lose 1 of the async serial ports on the 2511RJ but you don't have to deal with the big octal cables.
    If you haven't bought it yet then check the prices of a NM-16A + 2610 as well. Sometimes they're cheaper than the 2511s. You'll have to deal with octal cables though. If you have a really big lab then you can put multiple NM-16As into a 3600.
  • boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
    I already have a 2610 that is doing nothing. I never thought about that. So I guess I just need one more octal and the NM-16A?
    I already have a 2610 that is doing nothing. I never thought about that. So I guess I just need one more octal and the NM-16A?
    Yes. I've seen NM-16As go for cheap before but I've also seen them for crazy prices as well. The 2511s and 2509s tend to be overpriced because the sellers know that people want them as access servers.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You don't necessarily have to use a Cisco device as your access server. I replaced my 2511 with a Cyclades TS3000 off ebay for about $100. It's 48 ports, passively cooled (silent), and runs some form of linux. I've been very happy with it.
    kalebksp wrote: »
    You don't necessarily have to use a Cisco device as your access server. I replaced my 2511 with a Cyclades TS3000 off ebay for about $100. It's 48 ports, passively cooled (silent), and runs some form of linux. I've been very happy with it.
    Good point. That TS3000 looks nice. Shame none are even in the UK on eBay icon_sad.gif
    I am waiting to hear back on the price of a NM-16A.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am waiting to hear back on the price of a NM-16A.

They're in the $190 range on ebay and a lot of those have an ocatal cable included.
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    kalebksp wrote: »

How easy was it to set up? Did you have to buy any adapters or make your own cables? Do you have any pics of it as well would like to see it setup :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ajmatson wrote: »
    How easy was it to set up? Did you have to buy any adapters or make your own cables? Do you have any pics of it as well would like to see it setup :)

The only configuration I did was to reset it to defaults, which allows telnet access to each port by opening a connection to port 7000 + [port number]. I made my own cables, prefer to be able to make everything the proper length.

In case anyone ends up buying one this is how I wired the cables for Cisco equipment:
    Cyclades End (T568-A):
    Green-White
    Green
    Orange-White
    Blue
    Blue-White
    Orange
    Brown-White
    Brown

Cisco End:
    Blue-White
    Brown
    Orange
    Blue
    Brown-White
    Orange-White
    Green
    Green-White

I don't have a real digital camera, but here's a crappy picture. I re-racked everything a while ago and haven't gotten around to finishing the wiring. The unit is racked upside down because I wanted the power to be on the same side as the rest of the equipment.
    That Cyclades is nice, but I could trade up with Ciscokits from my 2509 to a 2511 for $70 plus another octal cable.

The NM-16A from Ciscokits is the same price as a 2511.
    That Cyclades is nice, but I could trade up with Ciscokits from my 2509 to a 2511 for $70 plus another octal cable.

The NM-16A from Ciscokits is the same price as a 2511.
    You checked eBay?
    We block it here at work. I will have to look it up when I get home.
    Ciscokits has a a 2511-rj for $260 so if I trade up I only pay $90 and I wouldn't need to buy cables.
    Ciscokits has a a 2511-rj for $260 so if I trade up I only pay $90 and I wouldn't need to buy cables.
    You can get a regular 2511 + 2x octal cables for around $200 on eBay so it is up to you.
    I can trade in my 2509 for $150 credit so I will only need to pay the difference for the 2511-rj which is $90. I won't need cables because I can make them.

PS. Where in the UK are you? I have been there a couple times. Stayed in Swindon.