Options

Failed today

tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
I took the test this morning thinking I was ready. I got a 670. I am pretty frustrated over it, mostly mad at myself for being so bad about studying. I had a list of 4 topics I needed to review. I reviewed two of them pretty good but the two I didn't were featured much more heavily. I don't think saying that breaks the NDA.

I can retake the test with second shot in the building next door to my office in the middle of June or drive an hour to take it next week. I will probably drive to take it again before I forget anything.

I used the MSPress book, the O'Reilly in a nutshell, and measureup. I knew what I needed to study on, I just got too caught up in watching DVR to go over it all.
I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just review the weak points and go knock it out. You only need a few points, next weekend doesn't seem impossible as long as you work hard this week.

Good luck
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I retook the test today and passed with an 887. I had to drive 2 hours to take it since my testing center here only has one computer and thus can only handle 2 microsoft tests per day. On to the 291!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great job! Sometimes failing is the best thing that can happen to you. I failed the CCNA the first time I took it and it resulted in me studying a lot harder the 2nd time around. The pass feels a lot more rewarding after a fail. Good luck with 291.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Thanks for the congratulations. I may have done something...unwise. I scheduled the 291 for the 23rd hoping to take a crack at it and still have the second shot to fall back on. I think the test's reputation and the shorter timeframe will help me take it seriously. On to studying!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    Thanks for the congratulations. I may have done something...unwise. I scheduled the 291 for the 23rd hoping to take a crack at it and still have the second shot to fall back on. I think the test's reputation and the shorter timeframe will help me take it seriously. On to studying!

You'll be alright. I am looking at about the same time frame as you. I'd like to get at least 2 shots at it before the end of June
  • Options
    Good work
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    tbgree00 wrote: »

Im doing the same exact thing. 290 scheduled for June 2nd, 291 scheduled for June 23rd. Best of luck.
  • Options
    That was my initial plan. Even if I went in heavily unprepared, I could have 2 chances. I had the understanding that it is simply a free try.

Since then, I have decided it isn't a free try. Taking 4 hours off work tuns into a very decent amount of money that I would lose. I have decided that the 291 will have to wait until after the second shot. I just don't have the luxury to be taking hours off of work each week. Plus, money aside, I am working in a new position and I don't want to give the impression that I am unreliable.

I was able to plan my 290 test for next Saturday, the 5th. It is starting to creep up and I am getting nervous already. I thought I would have been more prepared a week out. I know that 10 days is still a lot of time and I still can log dozens of hours studying. But I haven't even started working practice questions. I usually like to be looking at them the last week almost entirely. But I am still finishing up the reading of my first book and watching CBT Nuggets.

What I do have in my favor, is that it shares a lot of content with the 270, which I nearly aced a few weeks ago. The few practice tests I have taken have been in the 60-70% range. Not where I want to be test day, but not bad enough to make me consider pushing the date back.

Any advice?
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    That was my initial plan. Even if I went in heavily unprepared, I could have 2 chances. I had the understanding that it is simply a free try.

Since then, I have decided it isn't a free try. Taking 4 hours off work tuns into a very decent amount of money that I would lose. I have decided that the 291 will have to wait until after the second shot. I just don't have the luxury to be taking hours off of work each week. Plus, money aside, I am working in a new position and I don't want to give the impression that I am unreliable.

I was able to plan my 290 test for next Saturday, the 5th. It is starting to creep up and I am getting nervous already. I thought I would have been more prepared a week out. I know that 10 days is still a lot of time and I still can log dozens of hours studying. But I haven't even started working practice questions. I usually like to be looking at them the last week almost entirely. But I am still finishing up the reading of my first book and watching CBT Nuggets.

What I do have in my favor, is that it shares a lot of content with the 270, which I nearly aced a few weeks ago. The few practice tests I have taken have been in the 60-70% range. Not where I want to be test day, but not bad enough to make me consider pushing the date back.

Any advice?

We should start a study group :)

Do you have TestOut? Im using both CBT Nuggets and TestOut and so far I'm liking TestOut more because of the sims and practice questions at the end of each section. I think Im going to print out the tech notes from here and use them as a final reference the night before.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    We should start a study group :)

Do you have TestOut? Im using both CBT Nuggets and TestOut and so far I'm liking TestOut more because of the sims and practice questions at the end of each section. I think Im going to print out the tech notes from here and use them as a final reference the night before.

No test out. A friend of mine had it and I tried a few lessons back when I was doing A+. Seemed like a pretty good tool.

I'm finishing the MS press book. I hoped to be done some time ago, but the reading is slow. I am also watching nuggets. On deck is the Self paced study kit. I don't plan on reading the entire thing, but skimming and brushing up on parts I don't feel perfect on.

My test software is Transcender. I've only taken 2 sets of 10 questions, and I think both were 7/10 right. Not too bad considering I still have 150 pages or so left of my first book and I'm only 6 Nuggets in. I've also taken some off this website with varying success.

If you want to bat ideas back and forth, we can talk on MSN. That might help both of us out. PM me if your interested.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »

Any advice?

I used the measureup tests that Microsoft pushes. I forget which coupon code I had but the 30 day access cost 55 dollars. I'm very glad I used it because they were great and had awesome simulations. I don't know if Transcender has sims but measureup may be worth considering if not.
  • Options
    I bought Transcender with a discout and got 270, 290, and 291 for about $150 total. No time limit. (Which is good since I purchased back in November)

My weak point is memorization. I am very much a theory kind of guy. So my downfall is remembering the limitations of each functional level and how that plays with local, global, and universal group. Remembering which can be a member of what at which time is killing me. And I know for a fact that several questions will be on those topics.