Cable to connect to switch\router

MeastMeast Banned Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Fellas,

Whats the best cable you would recommend for purchase, I have the blue cisco console cable already, I'm thinking about getting a CTG 1' USB A to DB9M Serial RS-232 Adapter. ANy recommendations?

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Find one with a FTDI or Prolific chip inside and you'll be fine. Both have good driver support for multiple operating systems and don't require any weird things like the driver to load in firmware.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Agreed. I have a keyspan db9 to usb converter, which works nice. Though I do have to install a driver each time i move to a new computer. But this is why I carry around a laptop =)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Find one with a FTDI or Prolific chip inside and you'll be fine. Both have good driver support for multiple operating systems and don't require any weird things like the driver to load in firmware.

Prolific is often the easiest to find chipset in USB to serial adapters. Don't bother asking the sales people for specific chip set types, most will not know unless they're super technical. Just buy one and try it out. I have 4 of them that I plug into my laptop for lab work... they should go for $14-50 depending on where you live of course... dirt cheap is still a solid device.