Options

What's my Norton Doing?

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Today my Norton antivirus, which I've been using for years with no problem, did a definition update. After the update now it says I'm not protected by SONAR Advanced Protection. I can't get it to fix via the normal method, I'm not even sure if that was a feature of the Norton I have ( It doesn't say anything about it on the package) and the support feature seems to be locking up.
It's Norton 360 Premier Edition Version 3.0
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    It appears that Norton now has a Version 4.0
    When it did a virus definition update apparently something didn't set right.
    I finally got through to Support, apparently they're busy tonight. For my trouble I got my Norton upgraded to Version 4.0 (Yeah Norton) which took some time since my DSL is so slow.
    If anyone has version 3.0 and has a problem similar to mine in the morning you'll know what it is.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Make sure you have your key, and then just unintstall and reinstall.

If you don't know the key, there are free software programs that can extract it for you. System information for windows (siw.exe) is the one I use. Free download from cnet.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    No, they gave me the upgrade. I use the same key. They gave me version 4.0 and installed it with the version 3.0 key. My version on disk is version 3.0, I had already reinstalled it and still had the same problem. Apparently one of the new features is the SONAR Advanced Protection and the new virus update must have somehow specified having that feature installed.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Its because its Norton, lol.

Install MSE.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Its because its Norton, lol.

Install MSE.
    What he said above.

I recently had to fix a laptop for a family member which was messed up by Norton 360. The upgrade from v3 to v4 didn't work properly so they had a half installed copy of 360 left without the ability to uninstall it. This meant that they couldn't actually access anything online because it was blocked by some component of 360 and Explorer acted oddly because the 360 shell extension wasn't working correctly. The event log was just full of errors from some Norton services that couldn't start properly.

Even though they still had 3 months on their Norton renewal, they agreed to me removing Norton completely and installing MSE. The tool that Norton provide to remove their products does actually work if you can't remove it via Add/Remove Programs.
  • Options
    It's working fine now. I'm thinking that some of their new virus definitions specified having that new SONAR feature. Since version 3.0 didn't have it my norton said I had a problem. It took up a lot of my time backing up, uninstalling and reinstaling Norton first and having the same problem after my first update then going through support and them doing a remote to my desktop and the dl of the new Norton was slow due to my having slow DSL (&%$$&* ATT)lol but everythings fine now. I do wish that Norton, like other large companies, would use USA helpdesk people but Chindu did a decent enough job.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Glad you got it to work. Hope it doesn't happen to you again but I have to say it.....it's Norton.

I was going to answer your thread title:
    Q-What's my Norton doing?
    A-Sucking? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, it's surprising that it's working right..sort of
    The password feature really su##s at distinguishing between sites