Options

7971 Issue

peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm having a problem with my 7971 phone. It is stuck on the Cisco Screen showing its MAC and stating: Upgrading. The problem is the phone is not upgrading. The phone was working fine previously and I decided to tear down my CME router and rebuild it. The CME router is working and properly configured because my other phones (7911 & CIPC) are all registering just fine. I'm running CME 4.1. The files that my CME router is serving up for the 7971 are:
apps70.8-2-2ES1.sbn
cnu70.8-2-2ES1.sbn
cvm70sccp.8-2-2ES1.sbn
dsp70.8-2-2ES1.sbn
jar70sccp.8-2-2ES1.sbn
SCCP70.8-2-2SR1S.loads
term70.default.loads
term71.default.loads

The file SCCP70.8-2-2SR1S.loads is the file I'm using (without the .loads) when I perform the "load 7971" command.

Now... here is the part that I believe could be the root of my problem... I manually created a "custom" tar ball using the untar'ed files from the cme-full-4.1.0.0.tar ball. I just removed the unnecessary files for the other phones so I could squeeze the size down to get into my flash. Any ideas?
We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Now... here is the part that I believe could be the root of my problem... I manually created a "custom" tar ball using the untar'ed files from the cme-full-4.1.0.0.tar ball. I just removed the unnecessary files for the other phones so I could squeeze the size down to get into my flash. Any ideas?

I don't think that is the issue, as along as you didn't change anything in that folder that the phone says it needs. I changed my tar file as well, and it didn't cause anything to fail.

I was having a similar problem last night, I could not come to a resolution. Mine would go to the upgrade screen and read 'error', and then it would say it could not find the SCCP file it was looking for. I confirmed stuff over and over again, finally gave up and started again from scratch. It worked that time. I have no idea what caused the problem, I think i may have misconfiguration the tftp server somehow on accident.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    I don't think that is the issue, as along as you didn't change anything in that folder that the phone says it needs. I changed my tar file as well, and it didn't cause anything to fail.

Thanks for the confirmation... I didn't know if it was against some type of cisco rule to modify the tarball. So, I think I'll reload everything and try again and see how it goes. Thanks again.

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    I think my 7971 is now a brick!! It boots but the screen goes blank and never turns on. I get no response from any keys, lifting the handset, nothing. The phone gets an IP address (I'm debugging dhcp events).

I've completely reloaded/reconfigured my CME routers & swithces. Again, my other phones register without problems. I've tried a factory reset on the 7971 by powering it on (POE) and holding #. Once I get the flashing lights, I've typed: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,*,0,# the screen goes blank and then gets stuck on the "upgrading" screen. I allowed the phone to sit for an hour without any action on the phone. The phone isn't reacting to any buttons. I've also tried to reset the phone using the sequence: 3,4,6,1,6,7,2,8,5,0,*,# which I read somewhere else. After hitting this keystroke, the phone goes blank and sits on the blank screen. I read to let it sit for approximately 5 minutes… it's been appx 2 hours and still no action. I've tried debug tftp events… there's no debug events when that phone boots (all the other phones will show the tftp events). When I show phone, I see all other phones but not the 7971… Outside of chalking the phone up as a lost… does anyone have any ideas on what I can do with the phone to potentially get it to come back to life? icon_smile.gif Thanks!!

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker