Options

Moving Outlook to new Exchange Server - quirk

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
We've got a running exchange machine (minus the edge), and are dropping the existing email server (from another domain), and setting up our own (this one). So, I will be redoing everyone's Outlook.

Im working on moving about 35 exchange accounts. Moving is actually the wrong word, I'm creating them as new, and will backup and restore the outlook PST info for each.

Im backing up the inbox w/ subfolders, then the contacts, then backing up the Rules and alerts (gawd why cant they be together?). I can restore the contacts and inbox, but when I do the import wizard for the rules and alerts - I lose the destination folder for all of the rules (ie rules that move items to another folder). The folders items are to be moved to are present in the new outlook account - as I just imported the inbox w/ subfolders.

Has anyone ran accross this before?
Outlook 2k7/Exchange 2k7

Comments

• Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Hmm, you shouldn't have to do anything to the user's Outlook except for maybe (autodiscover) point them to the new exchange server. Move the mailboxes from the old exchange server to the new one with the move mailbox function in the exchange mgmt console or with the move mailbox cmdlt in the exchange shell. I might not be understanding fully what it is you are trying to do though......
  • Options
    joey74055 wrote: »
    Hmm, you shouldn't have to do anything to the user's Outlook except for maybe (autodiscover) point them to the new exchange server. Move the mailboxes from the old exchange server to the new one with the move mailbox function in the exchange mgmt console or with the move mailbox cmdlt in the exchange shell. I might not be understanding fully what it is you are trying to do though......

I dont have access to the old exchange machine. We're basically starting exchange from scratch, and trying to attach the users info to the new one.
  • Options
    Ive got activesync and autodiscover set up as well, fwiw.

I am having trouble setting up my ipod to sync to the new exchange though. Anyone have a good link to walkthrough?
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Yeah, I would still think that you shouldn't have to do anything to Outlook outside of pointing them to the new exchange server, provided your domain and user accounts are the same. If the users have been using PST's then they already have all of their "old stuff", hopefully. Just create the new mailboxes in exchange, then point your users Outlook to the new exchange server. You may have to create new outlook profiles for each user if any user account/domain things have changed for outlook to assioate with the new mailboxes, but if nothing has changed user accout/domain/email address wise then you should be fine with just pointing outlook to the new mailboxes on the exchange server.
  • Options
    joey74055 wrote: »
    Yeah, I would still think that you shouldn't have to do anything to Outlook outside of pointing them to the new exchange server, provided your domain and user accounts are the same. .
    They arent, its a different domain with different AD names and addressing.