Options

Google Street view cars mistakenly snooped on private data

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Ouch, Google is getting no love recently! They remind me of the rich child with all the cool toys that doesn't think about the consequences. No intended evil, just playing around... ;)

Whoops! Google says mistakenly got wireless data | Reuters

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Meh. Its your own fault if you're sending sensitive data over an unencrypted wireless connection! :)
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Meh. Its your own fault if you're sending sensitive data over an unencrypted wireless connection! :)

Agreed, but I'm really surprised that they (Google) didn't think this through more carefully.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "Oops, we didn't realize we've been doing it for over 3 years now."
    Edit That's not a quote from the article, just paraphrasing with an attempt at some light humor
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I assume their code was supposed to just grab the BSSID and discard the rest before saving it whilst in the car. The article mentions stuff about how it was part of an experimental project that got accidently included.

A guess but I'd say somebody left the debugging code enabled which had some kind of packet sniffer and whilst the data was being archived in the logs, nobody was using it and nobody thought to check.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Do no evil my FOOT!
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I hate "tech" articles that don't provide any technical details. I'm also glad to see they made the most of Gibson's expertise. Only an expert could provide that level of insight... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    I'm honestly surprised that they didn't think of this in the first place. I think 'confused' definitely sums up their actions. You would think that a huge company like Google would run these ideas past their lawyers first.

FT.com / Technology - Google stops deleting Street View WiFi data

I'm also glad to see they made the most of Gibson's expertise. Only an expert could provide that level of insight... icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm also glad to see they made the most of Gibson's expertise. Only an expert could provide that level of insight... icon_rolleyes.gif
    I'm still waiting for the internet to implode from the awesome power of raw sockets in Windows XP. Its okay though, Microsoft eventually removed it in SP2 so we're safe now! Crisis now averted he can continue to peddle his broken SYN cookie implementation and uber assembler TCP/IP stack.