Cisco press and Sybex

jgladwelljgladwell Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have ICND 1 and 2 (second editions) from Cisco Press.

I want another source, is the Sybex book a good addition?

Also should I get the third edition of the ICND 1 and 2 or has not enough changed to warrant that?

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I have heard good things about the Sybex versions, but I think the best source is Cisco Press material...
  • jgladwelljgladwell Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I am just supplementing the Cisco Press books
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    25% of the topics in the current CCNA are either new or enhanced (and some topics like IGRP & ISDN have been removed or greatly diminished) when compared to the previous version.

If you've got the old edition of Odom's Cisco CCNA Certification Library, the INTRO book will fall far short of what you need to know for the ICND1 exam since you're now expected to know more to earn the CCENT Certification. The missing information for the current ICND1 exam should be in the old ICND book though.... The problem will be in the current ICND2 portion where the new and changed material (like multi-area OSPF) either won't be mentioned at all or covered in the detail you now need if it is mentioned.

If you add the latest version of Todd's Sybex book -- and check out the exam blueprint -- you may be able to get by if you fill in some of the gaps by checking the Cisco Documentation web site.

Considering the cost of a failed exam, the purchase of the current version of Odom's Cisco Press CCNA Certification Library (and Todd's book) is still probably a good investment.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Considering the cost of a failed exam, the purchase of the current version of Odom's Cisco Press CCNA Certification Library (and Todd's book) is still probably a good investment.

Especially when you can find a used copy of them on Amazon for under $30 each.
  • jgladwelljgladwell Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info guys I will check it out!