When is it too late?

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
I never got around to taking the A+ certification, though I aced both classes locally which taught it. My coworker said that CompTia has now changed the certification to where you have to re-take it every three years now. Has that already gone into effect? I read elsewhere on here that one had until the end of 2010 to get the A+ where it would be a lifetime cert?

Comments

  • DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what you read on here was true end of 2010
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    DoubleD wrote: »
    what you read on here was true end of 2010

    Is there a link on CompTia's website where they elucidate this? I briefly looked there but didn't see anything. I'd like to get this from the horse's mouth before I start expending time, energy, and effort.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Senior Member Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Straight from their website

    To Our Customers,

    I am very appreciative of the honest feedback you have provided us regarding our recent announcement concerning CompTIA certifications. We’ve listened to what you have told us and we’ve changed the policy announced on January 11, 2010.

    CompTIA will not require recertification for any current holders of CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certification. You are not required to retest to maintain your valid CompTIA certification. Regardless of when you became certified in CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+, you are certified for life.

    For candidates currently preparing to sit for a CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ exam, if you pass an exam and become certified by December 31, 2010, you too will have a lifetime certification with no requirements for recertification or retesting.

    Effective January 1, 2011, all new CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications will be valid for three years from the date the candidate is certified. After three years, the certification must be renewed. This can be done by passing the most current exam for a respective certification or by participating in CompTIA’s upcoming new continuing education program, which will allow individuals to keep their skills current and their certification up to date without retesting.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    Is there a link on CompTia's website where they elucidate this? I briefly looked there but didn't see anything. I'd like to get this from the horse's mouth before I start expending time, energy, and effort.

    http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/49994-comptia-certification-renewal-policy.html
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

    ***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

    'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Simply put all certifications taken before the end of this year are lifetime. Starting next year you go by CompTIA guidelines for renewing certs. You can either use their method of paying them and doing CEU's or take your highest level cert over or a higher cert test. It's a little like Cisco's policy but CompTIA doesn't have that many certs they consider "higher level"
    If you happen to have a gov job which requires the Sec+ then you'll still have to retake that one every 3 years whether it's lifetime or not.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Straight from their website

    To Our Customers,

    I am very appreciative of the honest feedback you have provided us regarding our recent announcement concerning CompTIA certifications. We’ve listened to what you have told us and we’ve changed the policy announced on January 11, 2010.

    CompTIA will not require recertification for any current holders of CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certification. You are not required to retest to maintain your valid CompTIA certification. Regardless of when you became certified in CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+, you are certified for life.

    For candidates currently preparing to sit for a CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ exam, if you pass an exam and become certified by December 31, 2010, you too will have a lifetime certification with no requirements for recertification or retesting.

    Effective January 1, 2011, all new CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications will be valid for three years from the date the candidate is certified. After three years, the certification must be renewed. This can be done by passing the most current exam for a respective certification or by participating in CompTIA’s upcoming new continuing education program, which will allow individuals to keep their skills current and their certification up to date without retesting.

    Excellent. Thank you, my good man.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,212 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your going to want to get it before the end of this year. Also note, that just because you aced a class doesn't mean that you are ready for the test. I know a guy that teaches an A+ class, and his students usually have an 18-19/20 success rate. The last semester was something like 6/10.

    Most people consider it an easy test, but don't underestimate it. Otherwise you will be failing that "easy" test.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    get 'er done.... before december this year else you'll have to recertify every 3 years... that's why i'm cranking out the net+ and sec+ asap...
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
Sign In or Register to comment.