Options

Macbook Advice

wayers22wayers22 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've always been a PC guy, but lately I've been wanting to play around with a Mac. I have been looking at the Macbook at best buy for $999. However, since I was just wanting to play around maybe getting a used Macbook would be a better situation, I dont know?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? If I should get a used macbook, can you tell me what to look for?

Comments

• Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    wayers22 wrote: »
    I've always been a PC guy, but lately I've been wanting to play around with a Mac. I have been looking at the Macbook at best buy for $999. However, since I was just wanting to play around maybe getting a used Macbook would be a better situation, I dont know?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? If I should get a used macbook, can you tell me what to look for?
    *looking at my "obsolete" 2009 Macbook Pro* icon_rolleyes.gif
    If you just want to play with it and not commit, just build a Hackintosh....that's just my .02 cents.

*edit*
    That's what I should have done....shoot...can upgrade cpu's as much as Apple do. From Core2Duo to i7...*looking at Macbook Pro again*...lol
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    wayers22wayers22 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jahsoul wrote: »
    *looking at my "obsolete" 2009 Macbook Pro* icon_rolleyes.gif
    If you just want to play with it and not commit, just build a Hackintosh....that's just my .02 cents.

*edit*
    That's what I should have done....shoot...can upgrade cpu's as much as Apple do. From Core2Duo to i7...*looking at Macbook Pro again*...lol

I think I'm pretty much sold on getting a Macbook. I'm leaning towards a used one, just not really sure of what I should look for or avoid.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your interested in using OSX I'm sure there is a VMware image somewhere out there if you look hard enough.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    don't waste your time.

They make good hardware to run Windows or various nix distros on, but OSX is worthless.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It all comes down to personal preference. I know some people that love OSX, and others hate it. I wouldn't spend that kind of money to learn about something that's not often used in the corporate world. However, if that's what you prefer day-to-day, go for it.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd highly recommend checking with your school if you're a current student somewhere, or your alumni association if you're a former student somewhere. Schools often have really good deals for purchasing new Apple equipment.

One of the main reasons that I have a MBP is because of the deal I get through an alumni association. Another reason that I will stick with them for the foreseeable future is because the MBP has significantly reduced my refresh schedule. The one that I'm typing on at the moment was purchased almost exactly 2 years ago. I don't have an upgrade planned, but I might start thinking about a new one later this year.

In the past with every other laptop that I owned my upgrade schedule was much shorter. Buying a new one every year was common.

My only complaint with the MBP is the battery. They seem to wear down fairly quickly; I find that I have to replace it about once per year. Not sure how this affects the MB.

MS
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    If it's just for playing around and getting familiar with it, and you want the cheapest option, why not go for the Mac Mini instead of a book? If you don't end up using it much as a 'pc', it still makes a nice media center (includes small remote). Mine's hooked up to my 32" inch TV and with a wireless VNC connection from my windows notebook I don't need a keyboard or mouse attached to it either. Though, if you get a reasonable priced used Macbook and sell it again a couple of months later you can probably get the same price for it or sell it with little loss.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm actually in the same boat as you. Hate Mac's but have determined having a basic understanding of how to use one isn't such a bad idea. I couldn't see spending $1,000 on something when a few hundred bucks would be more than enough.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I love my Macbook. I'm not really sure I would ever go back to Windows. I've been using OSX for over a year now, and really have had no issues with it. Like eMeS said, the older Macs had some battery issues. I can say that my MB has had no battery issues. I regularly get over 4 hours battery life with the screen brightness up and the wifi on. I may buy a MBP at some point in the future, but right now I have no complaints with my MB.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...