Options

VoIP: Odom's & Lammle's book inconsistency

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
Odom's 'CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide', page 145, under User Datagram Protocol, 2nd paragraph states "...VoIP uses UDP because...".

Lammle's 'CCENT Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician Study Guide', page 81, last paragraph before it begins discussing UDP Segment Format says "So if you're using Voice over IP (VoIP), for example, you really don't want to use UDP, ..."

I suppose it really doesn't matter at this point, but that's a bit worrisome icon_lol.gif
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    VOIP is definitley UDP, there's no way it can carry voice streams with TCP.

I'm not sure what the entire context of what Lammle was referring to about not using UDP....so I don't want to say too much....he might be trying to make a different kind of point...???
  • Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    RTP protocol uses UDP as a transport mechanism and is related to actual packets containing vocal samples that are later reconstructed to play back voice through a speaker.

I think as a network engineer you are going to look at RTP when talking of VoIP at the CCNA level because it is what you will have to deal with on occasion.

RTCP uses TCP and does call setup and teardown. Likewise, SIP can use TCP as its transport mechanism. As a VoIP technician you will need to know RTCP and SIP, but at the CCNA level talking about VoIP probably is contained to the RTP protocol and its transport UDP.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.