Options

Some Humble Questions...

cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
Hello everybody. Preparing for the CCNA Voice track and got a few newbie questions. I was fortunate to find at work a Cisco 3745 with 2 VWIC-1MFT-T1, AIM-ATM-VOICE-30, 12.4 (15)T Advanced Enterprise IOS, 256MB Dram and 128MB Flash. Will this router do good with a CCNA Voice Lab? For sure after buying some IP Phones. I was also able to get "cme-124-15T", I believe it's the full version but doesn't contain the CME-Basic.tar, I don't know if it should be really included or not. Attached is a pic of the files inside the cme-124-15T.zip. Now I came to the point of installing the CME and some questions are driving me crazy:

1- Just curious, but how many calls and IP Phones that this router can support? I read that this AIM has 4 DSPs and support to 64 call of medium complexity and 32 call of high complexity, so that means that this is the max for this router? One of my friends told me that this Router is still in production serving small Call centers that has up to 190 employees but no Voice Mail, true?

2- Which File system? Class B or C and why please? And is there any warnings regarding class C File System?

3- Should the CME files, Tar and individual files, be installed in Flash: directly or I need to create some folders, Like folder for the GUI, folder for the IP Phones and Sub-Folders for models (7940G for example). I saw some people extracting and copying directly to Flash: while others create folders, which is best and why?

4- Are the Phones firmware different than the Phone Loads or they are just different names for the same thing?

5- We should only install, or extract, phone's firmwares only for the models we use, am I right? Because I tried to install all this cme-124-15T.zip, and I reached almost 100MB of flash and I didn't finish them even yet.

6- Does this CME version have Phones firmwares or firmwares should be bought seperatly?

7- What will happen if the Phone that will register with the CME has a higher firmware than the one of the Cisco Router? I read that if the phone who has a lower version then it will upgrade from the CME, is that right?

8- Phone's firmwares have a .exe extension or what?

9- what should be a minimum, and what can be an option regarding the installation of CME on Cisco Router?

10- An NM-4T supports voice, can route voice? In production or just Labs?

Any help will be too appreciated guys, and again sorry for the humble questions. :)

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cerberos wrote: »
    Hello everybody. Preparing for the CCNA Voice track and got a few newbie questions. I was fortunate to find at work a Cisco 3745 with 2 VWIC-1MFT-T1, AIM-ATM-VOICE-30, 12.4 (15)T Advanced Enterprise IOS, 256MB Dram and 128MB Flash. Will this router do good with a CCNA Voice Lab?
    This router is outstanding… actually overkill for the CCNA Voice! But it will definitely work for what you need!
    For sure after buying some IP Phones. I was also able to get "cme-124-15T", I believe it's the full version but doesn't contain the CME-Basic.tar, I don't know if it should be really included or not. Attached is a pic of the files inside the cme-124-15T.zip. Now I came to the point of installing the CME and some questions are driving me crazy:
    The files that you have I’m not sure about personally. It may be the individual files “tarred” for each phone. Depends on which phone and what files are contained in those .tar files. Example: you have the cmterm-7970_7971_xxx.tar file. If this tar file contains all of the associated files that you need to serve up in your tftp-server (apps70, cvm, cnu, jar, dsp, etc…) then you’re good to go for the 7970_7971 phone. You have to checkout the version of CUCME your router is running, then go to cisco.com and do a search for “supported firmware platform voice <your_version_cme> (maybe 4.1, 4.2, or 4.3). Then you have to see which files are compatible with the model of phone you have and what version of CUCME you’re running.
    1- Just curious, but how many calls and IP Phones that this router can support? I read that this AIM has 4 DSPs and support to 64 call of medium complexity and 32 call of high complexity, so that means that this is the max for this router? One of my friends told me that this Router is still in production serving small Call centers that has up to 190 employees but no Voice Mail, true?
    According to this link: Cisco.com the 3745 supports 144 phones.
    2- Which File system? Class B or C and why please? And is there any warnings regarding class C File System?

Not sure of the filesystem that’s supported by the 3745, but a quick google search should yield you your results.
    3- Should the CME files, Tar and individual files, be installed in Flash: directly or I need to create some folders, Like folder for the GUI, folder for the IP Phones and Sub-Folders for models (7940G for example). I saw some people extracting and copying directly to Flash: while others create folders, which is best and why?
    If you go to cisco’s site and download the cme-basic/full files that matches the version of CME you’re running, the archive /xtract command will create your subdirectories for you.
    4- Are the Phones firmware different than the Phone Loads or they are just different names for the same thing?
    All of the phone’s files serve a purpose. The phones looks for each file individually doing its startup process. A debug tftp events will show you the phone boot and request the files its expecting to be served up by your tftp server.
    5- We should only install, or extract, phone's firmwares only for the models we use, am I right? Because I tried to install all this cme-124-15T.zip, and I reached almost 100MB of flash and I didn't finish them even yet.
    Definitely only install the files/firmware for the phones you have. The rest of it is bloat in your router’s flash.
    6- Does this CME version have Phones firmwares or firmwares should be bought seperatly?
    You didn’t show us your version of cme. Run the command show telephony-service and this will tell you the version of cme that your router’s IOS is running. You may have to go to global config and type: telephony-service<cr> to enable telephony-service so the show telephony-service command works.
    7- What will happen if the Phone that will register with the CME has a higher firmware than the one of the Cisco Router? I read that if the phone who has a lower version then it will upgrade from the CME, is that right?
    Not sure on the first part of this question… I’m interested to know as well… but yes to the second part of the question (the phone will update its firmware to match what the router is serving up). I’m almost thinking that the phone will install whichever firmware the router is serving up but I’m unsure of this.
    8- Phone's firmwares have a .exe extension or what?
    NO! Depends on the file and the firmware… some end in .loads, some end in .sbn it all depends. The link from question 1 can answer this for you.
    9- what should be a minimum, and what can be an option regarding the installation of CME on Cisco Router?
    Not sure what you are asking on this question!
    10- An NM-4T supports voice, can route voice? In production or just Labs?
    Are you asking if you can route voice over the WAN? If so, then the answer is yes. That’s what makes VoIP lovely…

I'm a noob to voice as well... been studying for about two weeks now. But I've been asking alot of the same questions as you. I've probably made some mistakes, but I answered everything to the best of my ability! I hope this helps and good luck with your voice studies. Oh yea, which IOS version are you using? This can help you determine the CME version running icon_thumright.gif
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    Thanks alot bro, this was very informative and helpful! I just found out that CME Version 4.3 and later extract files in directories, CME 4.1 and before doesn't do that, it just trash your Flash. CME 12.4(15)T is CME 4.1 bro. Yea, fastest router to boot I saw until now in fact, 350MHz with Level 2 and Level3 Cache, but what makes me wondering is that the ISR 2851 has a 220,000 PPS, while this Guru has 250,000 PPS! A router that was making $12,000 oneday, I heared... Goodluck bro on your Voice Track, and thanks again icon_thumright.gif.