Options

Simulators for Practicing CCNA Security??

logicmyfootlogicmyfoot Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I am preparing for CCNA:S and unfortunately i don't have access to real equipment. I am having a hard time practicing for LAB via Packet Tracer and GNS3. I am trying to practice for Layer 2 security configs example dhcp snooping, DAI, STP protection via Root guard and bpdu guards etc. can you guys suggest any other sims for this??

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Hi Guys,

I am preparing for CCNA:S and unfortunately i don't have access to real equipment. I am having a hard time practicing for LAB via Packet Tracer and GNS3. I am trying to practice for Layer 2 security configs example dhcp snooping, DAI, STP protection via Root guard and bpdu guards etc. can you guys suggest any other sims for this??

Yeah that's going to be tough, does Boson not have a CCNA:Security simulator? You can also look at Routsim although I haven't used them in YEARS....but they were pretty good at the time...

You're going to need access to SDM, I'm actually taking my exam today, in about 2 hours from now. LOL....

You HAVE to know your way around SDM as well as the items you listed. Can you do SDM in PT and GNS3?

I'll find out soon enough if I knew my way around SDM enough... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Can you do SDM in PT and GNS3?
    SDM is doable in GNS3. I do not think PT has SDM capabilities but I could be wrong.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

Without real equipment, I'm not sure if you can simulate layer 2 stuff. Do you have access to any spare switches at work or school? HTH!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    SDM is doable in GNS3. I do not think PT has SDM capabilities but I could be wrong.

I feel that I won't be able to avoid GNS3 for much longer. I have it installed but just haven't spent time to learn it.

I like to physically play with my equipment, but as I've said before, once you are already experienced, GNS3 is great to put something quick together and do some testing....

I suppose my concern is that I don't know if bugs I encounter are GNS3, misconfiguration on my part, or bugs in Cisco...

So by at least sticking with physical equipment, I don't have to worry about GNS3 being buggy.....or perhaps it's not buggy at all???
  • Options
    Yeah that's going to be tough, does Boson not have a CCNA:Security simulator? You can also look at Routsim although I haven't used them in YEARS....but they were pretty good at the time...

You're going to need access to SDM, I'm actually taking my exam today, in about 2 hours from now. LOL....

You HAVE to know your way around SDM as well as the items you listed. Can you do SDM in PT and GNS3?

I'll find out soon enough if I knew my way around SDM enough... icon_rolleyes.gif

i know i m late but still best of luck for for examicon_thumright.gif. till now im i have not progressed much with the my studiesicon_study.gif. Till still confidently can configure NTP,SYSLOG, SNMP, One step, Audit,AAA,SSH, and ACL's via SDM etc. onlyicon_sad.gif
  • Options
    i know i m late but still best of luck for for examicon_thumright.gif. till now im i have not progressed much with the my studiesicon_study.gif. Till still confidently can configure NTP,SYSLOG, SNMP, One step, Audit,AAA,SSH, and ACL's via SDM etc. onlyicon_sad.gif

Thanks, I just got back and passed! I'll make a quick post about this....
  • Options
    Without real equipment, I'm not sure if you can simulate layer 2 stuff. Do you have access to any spare switches at work or school? HTH!

Unfortunately i don't ave access to physical equipment. In India a decent lab should take upto $800- $1000 investment and frankly i dont hv that much moolahicon_redface.gif
  • Options
    Thanks, I just got back and passed! I'll make a quick post about this....

congrats buddy.....do share your experience with us
  • Options
    congrats buddy.....do share your experience with us

Thanks...

Without breaking NDA rules, it seemed to have covered most of the topics in the syllabus. I say most because logically it depends on the pool of questions you get.....

There really wasn't anything unfair about the questions, and I think the 90 mins that I got was more than enough.....

I was pretty right about what I said above, understand SDM and understand those topics that you mentioned in your original post....
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I suppose my concern is that I don't know if bugs I encounter are GNS3, misconfiguration on my part, or bugs in Cisco...

in my own personal experience minus the actually flipping the routers on and cabling them i cannot tell any difference between using the physical routers and emulating them in GNS3.
    WIP: IPS exam