Options

3rd router choices

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm looking into getting a 3rd router. Right now I have 2 2610 routers which are working fine for me at this point, but won't for CCNA.

My plan was getting 2 of the cheapest routers that were still useful (IE no 2500's), and add a 3rd 'good' one as needed (such as for frame relay). I'm finding the 2600's are a bit less than I'd hoped in what IOS they can hold, their memory capabilities, etc (they're still useful though) so I'm thinking of getting the 3rd one sooner so I can play around with it more (ssh, sdm, etc).

So will a 2610XM work out well, or should I look for something bigger? Will a 2610XM & 2 2610's work for me for ICND2 (frame relay & whatever else you do there)? Will it last still for the side-paths at CCNA level (I'm thinking security, maybe VoIP). What about CCNP? I'm not asking if these 3 are all I need, but if they'll continue being useful or if I'll need to scrap them because I need everything better?

Secondly, how reliable can you trust what eBay sellers describe a model as? I'm checking and Cisco 2620XM router - eBay (item 230472994277 end time May-20-10 08:13:11 PDT) for example lists as a 2620XM, but is also described as a 2620. How can you tell? I'd hate paying that much for a non-XM model ya know?
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Will a 2610XM & 2 2610's work for me for ICND2 (frame relay & whatever else you do there)? Will it last still for the side-paths at CCNA level (I'm thinking security, maybe VoIP). What about CCNP?

2600 series routers should be fine for CCNA. I've got a 2612, 2620 and a 2620XM running IP PLUS - c2600-is-mz.122-46a.bin - I haven't yet come across any command in ICND2 that I can't use, I have upgraded the memory and installed WICs though. You'll want at least three serial ports for the frame switch. Apparently the 2500 series should be fine for CCNA as well according to Chris Bryant, I think that's what he uses in his video series.

I can't comment beyond the CCNA, I'm not there yet. I don't think 2600s will be much good for voice though.
    Secondly, how reliable can you trust what eBay sellers describe a model as? I'm checking and Cisco 2620XM router - eBay (item 230472994277 end time May-20-10 08:13:11 PDT) for example lists as a 2620XM, but is also described as a 2620. How can you tell? I'd hate paying that much for a non-XM model ya know?

If you want to determine the difference between the 2620 and the 2620XM, get the seller to put up a show version.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Grab a 1721 (or 2). You can get them cheap, they support 12.4 IOS (15) for ZBF and SDM and they are very quiet FTW!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    knwminus wrote: »
    Grab a 1721 (or 2)
    Don't try to save money and buy a 1710 or 1720 though!

As with all routers that use special memory and flash, try to find one that has the maximum already installed.
  • Options
    Grab a 1721 (or 2). You can get them cheap, they support 12.4 IOS (15) for ZBF and SDM and they are very quiet FTW!

Umm wow; I'd say they're cheap... $25 on eBay. What would I be missing by getting those? (they're even cheaper than my 2610's).

Also
    You'll want at least three serial ports for the frame switch.
    I don't understand this. Where does the 3rd serial port go?

[edit] Meaning: what does it connect to?

• Options
    bermovick wrote: »

On your frame switch, you will want at lease three serial interfaces for a hub and spoke topology (this topology is what is used in most of the videos or books I've seen). Currently I am using my 2612 as the frame switch, with one WIC-2t, but a 2520 will do.

I am going to get another WIC-2t once I can afford it, two serial interfaces just doesn't cut it as a FR switch.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Umm wow; I'd say they're cheap... $25 on eBay. What would I be missing by getting those? (they're even cheaper than my 2610's).

They aren't rackable which is more annoying than it sounds.

Use a 2610 with a NM 4 A/S and you will be good. Get some WIC-1ts to do p2p links.
  • Options
    They aren't rackable which is more annoying than it sounds.

Meh; mine aren't racked NOW. They're stacked on a desk along with my printer hehe. If that's all I'd be missing then that's a steal! There's nothing else in their available IOS's I'd be missing out on!?

Use a 2610 with a NM 4 A/S and you will be good. Get some WIC-1ts to do p2p links.

So my current 2610's, one with a WIC-2T added to it's existing WIC-1T would satisfy the frame relay requirements? If so that's just great. 2610 central, other 2610 and 1 or 2 ... others (perhaps 2 of the 1721's for example) and I'm set?

[edit]: missed quote tag

• Options
    Meh; mine aren't racked NOW. They're stacked on a desk along with my printer hehe. If that's all I'd be missing then that's a steal! There's nothing else in their available IOS's I'd be missing out on!?

So my current 2610's, one with a WIC-2T added to it's existing WIC-1T would satisfy the frame relay requirements? If so that's just great. 2610 central, other 2610 and 1 or 2 ... others (perhaps 2 of the 1721's for example) and I'm set?

Sounds ok...then we move on to the switches...icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, I was surprised the switches are pricier than the routers icon_sad.gif

• Options
    Yeah, I was surprised the switches are pricier than the routers icon_sad.gif

Not wrong! I've got an old 3524-PWR XL switch, got it for free so can't complain. It does most of what I need it to do. For such an old IOS, I was quite surprised that most of the commands are the same as later IOSs, even set up some VLANs and ROAS!

Can't afford three 2950s, so I just use Packet Tracer for most switching labs (STP, VLANs, VTP ect...) and my real routers for the routing labs.
  • Options
    Well I already have 2 2950's, so if those are good then I'm mostly set there :)

• Options
    Yup, 2950s are all you need for CCNA. Sounds like you're pretty much good to go. :)