Options

Wording on practice tests confusing

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
So I'm taking some more practice tests (wendell odoms) and mainly the subnetting wording is catching me up and I find that I am taking way too long on it. If I sit and think about it for 5 minutes per question I can get it but that wont work on the exam.

When you go sit for the exam is it best to straight away right out the general CIDR table and maybe your 16 and 32 and maybe 64 tables for fast referance? Has anyone done this and it has helped them? I guess it would take me like 2-3 minutes to write all of that out so not sure if it's worth it or...?

I guess what i'm asking is when you see certain words in questions should I immediately disregard certain answers?

Comments

• Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm probably going to write down a 16 table. Just remember a 32-table is every OTHER number on the 16 table and 64 is every fourth.

I'm not sure where your bottleneck is with subnetting. Mine got faster when I realized the 'magic number' (Jeremy from CBTNuggets talks about this but I think I modified it slightly) is 256 minus the last network bit, so the most I really have to do is figure out the important octet then convert from CIDR to dotted decimal. /28? 8+8+8+4. That's magic number 16 in 4th octet. Subnets are multiples of 16.

[edit] added OTHER
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    YES! write those tables down. saved me so much time when i took my ccna.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Take advantage of the time before your test. You are given a good 20 mins to read the instructions on go through the demonstration on how to take the test. I jot down everything I can that requires thought so I can reference later.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.