Options

Another problem..file/program association.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
It's a Windows 2000 box. The listings in the 'File Types' tab, under Folder Options, are greyed out. I want to make Access 2000 the default database program, but 97 is right now. Anyone know how to get the file types to show up so I can select them, or know or another workaround? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is the server running Terminal Services in Application mode? If you are, search the MS knowledgebase. By default that functionality is locked down. You need to change a registry key, switch the association, and switch the key back. If you can't find the article, I have it somewhere at work.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I checked on a bunch of articles with common isuues, but couldn't find anything specific to your problem. The only thing I can think of is to right click the file, then select open-with, instead of open, choose the correct program, and select the "always open with this program" tick box at the bottom. That should work.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    All of the Open-With options are greyed out as well, I tried that previously.

I'm not sure if the machine is running Terminal Services, but I've found the article you're referring to and I'm going to try the registry tweak. If that fails, I'm going to try the 'assoc' command.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if there is a grey choice there might be something that causing it -> you dont have an administrative privilages or your application has been locked down to prevent changes.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good call dedy - thats usually a prime candidate for this issue.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Do you still need 97 ? If not then uninstall it....and 2000 will be your default... :D
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA