Options

Cisco Router Flash Memory Question

superkingkongsuperkingkong Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Lately i've learned that router can be a tftp server and router A could download from router B.

I have few questions. Hope you guys can help me out here.

Note: Assuming Router B is the "tftp-server"

1. If my flash on Router B is big enough, can i store 2 IOSes?

2. If the answer is yes, how would the router knows which one to use for booting?

3. If "yes" in Q1, can i store 2 different IOSes? one for the booting of Router B and the other IOS is for other router (storage purpose)

eg, Router B is a C2621, so in the flash, there are C2600 ios and C2500 ios (to be downloaded by other router that is connected to it).

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    1. If my flash on Router B is big enough, can i store 2 IOSes?
    Assuming that the router you're using has a filesystem on the flash then yes. Older routers like the 2500 didn't.
    If the answer is yes, how would the router knows which one to use for booting?
    boot system entry in the configuration or it'll boot whatever it finds first.
    3. If "yes" in Q1, can i store 2 different IOSes? one for the booting of Router B and the other IOS is for other router (storage purpose)
    Yes
  • Options
    superkingkongsuperkingkong Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Assuming that the router you're using has a filesystem on the flash then yes. Older routers like the 2500 didn't.

so what about like 2621 or 2630XM or 3640?
    tiersten wrote: »
    boot system entry in the configuration or it'll boot whatever it finds first.

Care to explain more on how to configure boot system entry? i mean the commands to be used. ( to set which to boot or to view, etc)

thanks
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    so what about like 2621 or 2630XM or 3640?
    26xx, 26xxXM, & 36xx are all good to go with flash filesystems!
    Care to explain more on how to configure boot system entry? i mean the commands to be used. ( to set which to boot or to view, etc)

thanks

This link should point you in the right direction...
    HTH

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker