Options

Failed my CCENT-Need Help

hatchhatch Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

Took the CCENT and failed with a 803 out of 804. That's right one freaking point. What I am looking for is to pinpoint what I need to work on. I am not sure what the categories from the book break down as far as reading material. I have the Cisco Press CCENT book, and using the boston exam.

Here are my scores by category:

1. Describe the operation of data networks 77%
2. Implement a small switched network 88%
3. Implement an Ip addressing scheme and Ip services to meet the network requirements. 56%
4. Implement a small routed network 75%
5. Explan and select the approperiate administrative task required for a WLAN 67%
6. Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate. 50%
7. Implement and verify WAN links 75%

P.S. Going to take it again next week, but any help but what chapters/subjects I should focus on would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    hatch wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Took the CCENT and failed with a 803 out of 804. That's right one freaking point. What I am looking for is to pinpoint what I need to work on. I am not sure what the categories from the book break down as far as reading material. I have the Cisco Press CCENT book, and using the boston exam.

Here are my scores by category:

1. Describe the operation of data networks 77%
    2. Implement a small switched network 88%
    3. Implement an Ip addressing scheme and Ip services to meet the network requirements. 56%
    4. Implement a small routed network 75%
    5. Explan and select the approperiate administrative task required for a WLAN 67%
    6. Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate. 50%
    7. Implement and verify WAN links 75%

P.S. Going to take it again next week, but any help but what chapters/subjects I should focus on would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear you failed. But honestly, I don't think there's anything anyone can tell you, Cisco has provided to you what your strong/weak points are....

You could either work on #6 or improve on #2 and you would then be good to go!!!
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I also failed by one point. Spend a few weeks going over what you're weak on and retake the test. You should pass the next time you take the test. If you have the Odom books, they should help you out alot on what chapters you need to study on each domain.

I suggest practicing subnetting more. There is a good subnetting site subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ip address and security is what you need to work on. Subnetting is key and that has been said time and time again. I failed my first time and I thought I knew subnetting, but I obviously I didn't. This link is what helped me the most subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online.

Security isn't bad, port-security commands / relevance, service password-encryption command, and the common attack profiles like DOS attack, Spoofing, ect.

I think within one week you will be just fine, don't get upset even over one point. Do what you were doing before just change the way you studied for the topics you did poorly on.

You will get it. :)
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Definitely check out subnettingquestions.com - Drill on those until you can answer them in your head in 15 seconds.

Otherwise it looks like you could brush up on wireless and security. I know I alwasy got confused on the types of attacks, the different DoS varieties, etc. I just read over that material repeatedly until it sank in and I could explain it to someone else with ease.

Don't let it get you down, though. Study up, take a week or two, and hit it again. You know you've got it in the bag this time icon_thumright.gif
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    dairou18dairou18 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At least you know what to expect going into the exam now. Go over subnetting again. Lammle's CCNA book was excellent at teaching subnetting.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd plan on taking the test while what you have is still in your head, and you can practice subnetting and frame relay/WAN stuff since those were your weakest points.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    I'd plan on taking the test while what you have is still in your head, and you can practice subnetting and frame relay/WAN stuff since those were your weakest points.

Agreed, don't wait too long, it's hard to retain all the tiny little details in your head....you're real close to passing so brush up and take it again soon....
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just go take it again in 5 days like I did. I failed with 1 point as well and I said I know I can knock this out. I did practice test for 5 days and got myself into test mode.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You should be able to compare your score report result breakdown against the exam blueprint. The main result headings on the score sheet match up with the main headings on the exam blueprint. The list of topics/tasks listed under the main headings should jog your memory about the things you may need some additional study/lab time on.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    I have a question, how much harder is this than the CCNA exam?

it seems like it covers some of the things the CCNA does, i just wonder how in depth?
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    Selfmade wrote: »
    I have a question, how much harder is this than the CCNA exam?

it seems like it covers some of the things the CCNA does, i just wonder how in depth?

There are pro's and con's to both ICND1/2 and the CCNA exam.

I chose the CCNA exam because although it covers much more topics and in depth, they can only ask you so many questions. :D

The ICND1 and 2 are broken up so although it may seem easier, I think it can be just as difficult because now Cisco has MORE time to drill you on the topics.

Of course one would say it doesn't matter, you either know it or you don't. But that is somewhat unfair because it depends on the pool of questions you get. Just because one were to study for CCNA and pass it, does not mean they know the CCNA topics inside and out.

I for one, will admit that there are still lots for me to learn regarding CCNA topics.

You also have to figure that you're spending twice as much studying for each test, and you have to go to the testing center twice to acheive CCNA.

But again, it really depends on your POV, whatever floats your boat... :D
  • Options
    oh I see, so if you pass one half you are CCENT, pass the other and you are CCNA

i see, I didn't know that

this whole time I have been wanting to take it as a composite

You're right, either you know it or you don't!

You don't know if you know it or not untill you take the exam too.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    oh I see, so if you pass one half you are CCENT, pass the other and you are CCNA

i see, I didn't know that

this whole time I have been wanting to take it as a composite

You're right, either you know it or you don't!

You don't know if you know it or not untill you take the exam too.

Yeah, and again, there's nothing wrong with taking 2 exams to get CCNA, as long as you get there. Everyone chooses their own path....it's the destination that matters...
  • Options
    Yeah, and again, there's nothing wrong with taking 2 exams to get CCNA, as long as you get there. Everyone chooses their own path....it's the destination that matters...

Yeah a friend took the composite and passed it.

He said our CCNA 4 practice final was harder than the actual CCNA exam.

I just need to keep studying the CCNA 1 and 2 stuff and then do a review of the 3 and 4 stuff and i'll be ready.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah a friend took the composite and passed it.

He said our CCNA 4 practice final was harder than the actual CCNA exam.

I just need to keep studying the CCNA 1 and 2 stuff and then do a review of the 3 and 4 stuff and i'll be ready.

I'm really glad to hear this (again) seeing as I got at least 94% on each of the 4 final exams in the CNA. But sadly, even with the voucher from the Academy, I still don't have the $$$ to book it just yet. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Do what you gotta do to get the $$$ and then book it

one thing is for sure, you sound like you can't afford to fail, so hopefully you damn sure aren't gonna book it unless you're damn sure you can pass!
  • Options
    I dont know, man-whoring doesn't pay what it used to. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Those tests are insanly dificult. I managed to get A's in most of the finals, but it was rough for the rest of the class. I'd say if you jump into the CCNA exam after the class with a little more 'brushing up' on stuff you could have good odds at passing the exam.

Find the money somewhere, wait to long and the class was for naught.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    hatchhatch Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to let everyone know. I went to take the test again today and passed with a 852! Next step icnd2! Thanks for the advice and encouragement.=)
  • Options
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to let everyone know. I went to take the test again today and passed with a 852! Next step icnd2! Thanks for the advice and encouragement.=)

CONGRATS!!! Good luck with your ICND2. icon_thumright.gif
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! Nice to see you turn it around. :D
  • Options

kick ass duder!!!

ICDN2 shouldn't be harder than ICDN1, believe it or not, your objectives to study are much more focused, do a bunch of labs to get used to the configurations, and that would do you more good on the test than reading will, but you will still need to read your study material.

You'll do fine, kick it's ass too! icon_cheers.gificon_study.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118

Awesome, glad you didn't give up.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    passed
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Enjoy your Celebration drunken_smilie.gif

Good Luck with your ICND2 Studies icon_study.gif

Be prepared to kick it up a notch when it comes to your study and preparation for the ICND2 exam -- but hopefully since you're now starting from a "higher level" you won't notice any increased topic difficulty. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!