Options

Access Server? Anyone?

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Do you use access server?
How does it work?
What kind of router and module do I need?
I know I would need an octo cable rj45; but which type of octo cable?
I went to cableandkits and there are a bunch of different types.

The reason why I am interested on this access server is the console ports on 2 of my switches are starting to wiggle because I keep unplugging and replugging back the console cable multiple times when I do my lab practice.
On my routers, so far no problem but I am getting tired of unplugging the console cable.

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    thehourman wrote: »
    Do you use access server?
    How does it work?
    What kind of router and module do I need?
    I know I would need an octo cable rj45; but which type of octo cable?
    I went to cableandkits and there are a bunch of different types.

The reason why I am interested on this access server is the console ports on 2 of my switches are starting to wiggle because I keep unplugging and replugging back the console cable multiple times when I do my lab practice.
    On my routers, so far no problem but I am getting tired of unplugging the console cable.

Thanks

I'd suggest getting the 2511 if you want to go the Cisco route. That is what I have, and there are some new commands to learn like "ip host" and configuring loopback to reverse telnet, it's kinda fun.....

Someone else posted another AS that is definitley newer though has more ports and really a better deal, but it isn't Cisco. Not that you have to stick with Cisco for everything but I'm just saying. I forget the name of the other brand....

I like my octal cables. There is also the RJ45 version of the access servers but the octal cables seem cleaner and more organized.

The reason I say 2511 is that you will run out of ports very soon if you just get the 2509. I told myself from the start that 2511 is what I'm going to get and I was right. I have maxed out my ports already and need to purchase a second set of octal cables for ports 9 - 16...

If you don't want an older 2500 series router, I forget what the newer kind and module is that you can get. Someone here knows thought...
  • Options
    I definitely would like to take the Cisco path. I did some googling about the 2511 and found out the price is $220+. Man that is an expensive router.

Can you link me to the same octal cable you have?
    I want to make sure that I am getting the right one. Also, can I use my 2620 router as an AS? I did some reading and it said that not all cisco routers can do AS.

EDIT: Ok so the cisco routers I can use as an AS are 2509, 10, 11, 12.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I definitely would like to take the Cisco path. I did some googling about the 2511 and found out the price is $220+. Man that is an expensive router.

Can you link me to the same octal cable you have?
    I want to make sure that I am getting the right one. Also, can I use my 2620 router as an AS? I did some reading and it said that not all cisco routers can do AS.

You can use your 2620 as an Access Server. I currently run a 2610 as my access server with the module: NM-16A. As Notgoing2fail mentioned, there are other brands that perform the same duties and are a lot cheaper. I guess it's up to you. If you already have a 2620 that's not doing anything, I would suggest you invest in the NM-16A. Be careful not to purchase the NM-16A/S as that is a completely different cable! HTH.

Link to Octal Cables. This is the one I purchased!!!

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    You can use your 2620 as an Access Server. I currently run a 2610 as my access server with the module: NM-16A. As Notgoing2fail mentioned, there are other brands that perform the same duties and are a lot cheaper. I guess it's up to you. If you already have a 2620 that's not doing anything, I would suggest you invest in the NM-16A. Be careful not to purchase the NM-16A/S as that is a completely different cable! HTH.

-Peanut
    I think it would be cheaper to get the 2511 router and octal cable. I looked at the price of that NM-16A on ebay and the prices are $189 + $25+ S/H.
    There is a $50 one, but it says no return, and I don't like buying final sale stuff.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options

-Peanut

Yeah this is the right cable.

I paid $189 for my 2511 off eBay.....
  • Options
    I sent a best offer to one of the sellers, so I am hoping that he would take it.
    The dude that sold me the NM-4A/S did reply to my email and he seems to be willing to do the even exchange; however, he ask me for show diag and show version first because he wants to see them.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    I sent a best offer to one of the sellers, so I am hoping that he would take it.
    The dude that sold me the NM-4A/S did reply to my email and he seems to be willing to do the even exchange; however, he ask me for show diag and show version first because he wants to see them.

Sounds good, I really think your module is faulty.

I know I promised you my output, I'll do it later today.