Options

confused on using switches and vtp..help me!!!

super22super22 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey so my problem is like this..I'm using cisco packet tracer and I'm wanting to test how vtp works so I setup two switches (2960) and connect their Gigabit interface to each other so I can enable the vtp then I connect 3 laptops to each switch. I then assign each laptop on each switch a vlan so for each vlan there are two laptops. Now my problem is how do I get the laptops on the same vlan to speak to each other. Do I assign an ip address to each laptop but what about the gateway? Do I configure an ip on the switchport where the laptop is connected?

PLease help..thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    Project2501Project2501 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You don't have to have a default gateway. It's layer 2 so you're just switching.

Just give the two PCs an ip address and subnet mask on the some network and they'll start talking.

A 2960 is a layer 2 device so you could only ad an IP address for management. It can't do any routing remember.

Edit: Grammar
    - Pete
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    As mentioned you won't need a default gateway if the switches are using the same vlan. Just an I.P and netmask.

Have a quick check and make sure VTP has actually passed the info to the second switch. #sho vtp stat #sho vlan brief
    Also have a check to make sure that your trunk link between the switches is up. # sho int trunk.

Also without sounding patronising remember that vtp only sends the naming information and will not assign a switchport to your vlan for you on the second switch.
  • Options
    super22super22 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey guys thanks a bunch for the answers!!icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    remember that VTP domain names and passwords are case sensitive . . . .

also when you're using a switchport interface to connect to a PC, to make sure that the switchport is granted access to the correct VLAN and that the right IP address and default gateway are used on the PC.

Remember what the purpose of VLANs are, they are logically based LANs, so they can connect users on a different switch to users on another switch or on other ends of the network as long as they are in the same VLAN.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.