Newbie: Need Advice on What Routers to Get

LaevanayLaevanay Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys: Although I have been a help Desk for about a year and a half I think it is time for me to start thinking of a move up. My plan is to go for Cisco Certs, (our company has 2-3 routers, which in my opinion are not enough). I would like to buy myself routers to set up a small network at home and play with. My question to you all is, what type of routers should I buy and any suggestions as to where I can get good and cheap ones. And should I go for routers? how about sims?

Shaq

Comments

• forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    Laevanay wrote:
    Guys: Although I have been a help Desk for about a year and a half I think it is time for me to start thinking of a move up. My plan is to go for Cisco Certs, (our company has 2-3 routers, which in my opinion are not enough). I would like to buy myself routers to set up a small network at home and play with. My question to you all is, what type of routers should I buy and any suggestions as to where I can get good and cheap ones. And should I go for routers? how about sims?
    Read this thread:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5973
  • netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd go for 2500 or 1600, these can be bought quite cheap on Ebay.

Be careful about what software level is installed on the router as I've seen some routers with version 10.x software which is very old now. 2501,2503 or 2514 are my preferences.
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
  • Promedia77Promedia77 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If your post is regarding about something like CCNA, I would suggest, 3x 2600 routers, and 2x 2950 switches. Then you've got the CCNA ( hopfully ).
    Kocher, Aziz
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    3 routers and two switches would be enough to carry him through CCNP as well
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Indeed, that's a minimal CCNP lab, but too much for the average CCNA students. The 2500 series are still very suitable for practice.
  • netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2600 routers are good but I find they are too expensive at the moment whereas there are lots of 2500s around for sale and much cheaper.
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
  • LaevanayLaevanay Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for the prompt replies!

Have another question, you guys think it will be a nice career move from Help Desk with 2 years experience to move into networking. I mean I want a more serious job, being a Help Desk for a company of about 1000 nodes does not provide me with much growth....

So I guess what I want to say is will it be easy for me to transition into a network job from Help Desk?

Shaq