Options

Anybody else get this CompTIA e-mail?

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Got this in my in box today. If you got it are you responding?
If you are unable to see the message below, click here to view.
header.pngCurrently Seeking Subject Matter Experts for
CompTIA A+ Item Writing Workshop
CompTIA Headquarters—Oakbrook Terrace, IL
Aug. 23-27, 2010
CompTIA is seeking Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to provide assistance with the new CompTIA A+. Assistance from SMEs at this stage of development is crucial in developing questions for the level of expertise for which this certification is targeted.
In this workshop, SMEs will provide assistance in item (question) writing and determining the skill standards necessary for a job as a networking professional. CompTIA requires that a SME fit a specific set of criteria to participate in the Item Writing workshop.
For a full list of requirements, please click here.

SMEs will be provided with:
  • Continental breakfast, lunch, snacks, and beverages during meeting days. Dietary restrictions will be accommodated
  • Recognition for you and your organization (if provided) on the CompTIA A+ pages of the Web site
  • A $300/day stipend (pending adequate level of participation)
  • All information and materials required to complete the tasks you’ll be given
  • A voucher (coupon) to take one CompTIA exam free of charge
  • A CompTIA shirt
Click here to submit an application.
Please e-mail your resume and any questions to examdev@comptia.org.

index2-footer.png© 2010 The Computing Technology Industry Association, Inc.
1815 S. Meyers Rd., Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
All rights reserved.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Yep! Ignoring though =)
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't get it.

Looks like a pretty sweet deal though, if you are availabe you should go. You can probably stick it on your Resume too.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    They'd see my resume and laugh as they were tossing it in the can.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    They'd see my resume and laugh as they were tossing it in the can.

Nothing to lose from trying, right?
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got the e-mail, but in my case it's a bit complicated. I'm bound by state ethics laws and I would not be allowed to accept stipends/honorariums, even if it is done on my own time and it's in a different state (I'm considered a "state official", though I'm far from one. I just get a paycheck......) I get them every year to go out to west-bubba----, Il to comment, talk about a rewrite of a test or a new test based on Convergence. I would definitely like to do it (not for the money, but building contacts), but I would have to decline the stipend if accepted to receive one. Not worth it for me.
  • Options
    Thats interesting. I can understand the policy, just thought there would be some type of workaround for something like this. You would think that your company would want to better the tech community and work something out.
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been a SME before (Security+, Net+, & DHTI+) it's a pretty fun experience.

It's a pretty good deal, plus who doesn't need a Comptia polo shirt?
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah I got the email too, but there's no way I'd be able to go if I was accepted. I couldn't afford it on my own, and my company won't even pay for my boss to attend the trade show for the people who make our primary business software. Well, they'll pay for his ticket to get in. He just has to pay for travel, lodging and meals out of pocket. Yeah. icon_rolleyes.gif
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    I applied. If they want me I'll go. I've been through that area before, years ago. Plus I have relatives who live about an hour away with a nice lake cabin I could barge in on.
  • Options
    mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got it. Only a 2.5 hour drive. May consider it.
  • Options
    arwes wrote: »
    I couldn't afford it on my own, and my company won't even pay for my boss to attend the trade show for the people who make our primary business software. icon_rolleyes.gif

Isn't CompTIA paying $300 a day? That should pretty much cover travel, lodging and food. Unless of course you want to fly and stay in a 5 star hotel, then you are going to need to chip in a bit.
  • Options
    The travel costs are defiantly an issue. My employer won't pay for anything either, I have to take comp time when I go. During the week long sessions, I usually only net a couple of hundred dollars.

Since I really don't get to travel out of state, it's kinda a little adventure/vacation for me. And on top of that; I get a voucher, shirt, lunches, a couple of nice dinners, and a break from my kids.........
  • Options
    Kind of wondering why I didn't get one of these. Are you CompTIA members or have you just passed a certification?
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I'd do it, but i dont want to use my vacation time on that, and I doubt my employer cares about having our name listed on some random CompTIA page.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I'd do it, but i dont want to use my vacation time on that, and I doubt my employer cares about having our name listed on some random CompTIA page.

Yea, not to mention you'd probably get it all planned out and request the time off and a day before hand is when you learn the same project manager from CompTIA who planned the most gloriously successful (sarcasm) beta exam programs planned this and you were e-mailed in error.

CompTIOWNED
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got it as well. Not interested.
  • Options
    joecontrerasjoecontreras Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think I am going to apply for this, but I haven't had to do a resume in almost 10 years. I was hired on by my company right after my initial certifications ten years ago and I am still with the same company and haven't needed a resume for a long time.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good resume for a SME attempt?
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    why is CompTIA looking for writers for A+ again? They just re-did the exam.
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got one. It went straight to the bin.
    5 hour drive. Couldn't fit it in if I wanted to.
    If I lived in the Chicago area, maybe.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    why is CompTIA looking for writers for A+ again? They just re-did the exam.

The full process takes a while and they have the Gubment to keep happy now.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got the same invite. I don't know if I'd have enough qualifications for CompTIA to take me on but I'd do it alright and just may apply. The worst they can do is say no lol! Plus at $300 a day that would cover costs for the week. Me being originally from Ireland and having lived in the US for the past four and a half years I'd jump at the chance to go see another State/City although that would be a long drive from Florida!
  • Options
    I'm in Alabama so it's be a long drive as well. I would definitely need some prep if I went. Took the A+ in 2008 but still do some hardware work now. Laptop screen repairs and then just the basic stuff PS/HD/RAM replace.
    No vacation time so I'd just be "on leave without pay" as my boss says. It'd be a working vacation and Chicago is a great place to visit.
  • Options
    I priced a flight with hotel (Hyatt pretty much right next door) for 756. So I could net around 750, which perked my interest.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I got it, but delete anything from them unless I'm expecting it.
  • Options
    I actually just got this today. Why the delay? idk
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I received one. Have also received invites before.
    There is also a workshop for Security+ in mid-September, and they just finished Network plus the last of April.

CompTIA generally has one or two of these being planned all of the time.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    I just saw the Sec+ one last night. Even if I pass the test in a couple months I still don't think I'll qualify. I lack the 2 years in a security field.
  • Options
    novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    Has anyone who applied been accepted for the A+ or Security+ workshops yet?
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella