Options

$10 and hour for a computer repair job?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    True, my daughter is being taught stuff in the 8th grade that used to be college level as far as using computers. They're teaching basic computer skills now in elementary classes and it's going to make it where a degree will be necessary pretty soon for helpdesk entry level and then it'll be up to the individual to advance. I've already seen a lot of helpdesk ads in my area where they require a degree.

I started using computers in like the 1st grade. I started tinkering on my own not much later. Not everyone is like me, but everyone gets exposed to them in school now. Some don't care to go any further and some do.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I didn't start til high school but I'm old. They still taught typing in HS when I went.lol
    I was in,my failed attempt, college and had to carry around a big floppy to use the PC's back then.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    jtoast wrote: »
    Don't forget that this is also most likely a no-benefit contract position. They may even try to sign you up as an independant contractor which would make it even worse.

ding ding ding.

I don't know for sure because I'm not interested, but it smells like it.
  • Options
    $10 an hour may be far in many cities but no where near that for New York City.

That's another good point.
  • Options
    I got a second email from the guy, even though I did not reply to the first. Same job, but this time must be "within distance" of 10004, aka the Financial District aka WTC for you non-nyers. . .

$11 an hour.

Fantastic.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    I got a second email from the guy, even though I did not reply to the first. Same job, but this time must be "within distance" of 10004, aka the Financial District aka WTC for you non-nyers. . .

$11 an hour.

Fantastic.

Are you telling me that you are considering making $22880 a year?

My friend, a decent starting salary for a helpdesk guy with no experience in the city is at minimum $30k and that's really lowballing! $23k in downtown Manhattan, especially where that Wall St. Bull is, is very much bull!

I work on the other side of the Hudson....I know too many people in our area that started with much more than that. I know you gotta start somewhere, but c'mon man....you and I know you can't even get subway and lunch with that money. That's not even an exaggeration.
  • Options
    If you need a job you need a job.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    If you need a job you need a job.

It's not an exaggeration when I say this, but you will make more money collecting welfare (in NYC) than schleping accross the tri-state area doing thankless work. If you need the experience though, definitely do it.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    I know alot of people who got into jobs like that without any qualifications or experience, they just learned over time.
  • Options
    Shay_41_41Shay_41_41 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would take a PC Repair job for $10 an hour right now.
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Shay_41_41 wrote: »
    I would take a PC Repair job for $10 an hour right now.

See how it works? A recruiter advertising job pays before an interview....

Desperation + Lowballed wage = Employment

Atleast organized crime can get it right with the mentality of not taking on someone who is desperate. I'd actually feel kind of bad taking on someone who deserves better and giving them much less in return for their hard work.

You can aim higher than that $10! If you have to take it out of desperation, I'd only use it as a building block to get another job ASAP. Life is not cheap, and you should not have to be rewarded at the end of the day cheaply either.

The one question I have about that $10 position is... how do they expect the individual to have a reliable vehicle... especially if they cannot afford the basic maintenance, insurance, outstanding vehicle costs, etc... and that individual is expected to feed themselves breakfast lunch and dinner on that.... not to mention they probably make the file expense claims that are heavily scrutinized by the company where they probably have to wait a week or 3 to get a cheque... this would for the long term be creating an individual with some major outstanding loans!
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    That job is based out of New York, a location with an extremely high cost of living. $10/hour is terrible.
  • Options
    Stuppored wrote: »
    See how it works? A recruiter advertising job pays before an interview....

Desperation + Lowballed wage = Employment

Atleast organized crime can get it right with the mentality of not taking on someone who is desperate. I'd actually feel kind of bad taking on someone who deserves better and giving them much less in return for their hard work.

You can aim higher than that $10! If you have to take it out of desperation, I'd only use it as a building block to get another job ASAP. Life is not cheap, and you should not have to be rewarded at the end of the day cheaply either.

The one question I have about that $10 position is... how do they expect the individual to have a reliable vehicle... especially if they cannot afford the basic maintenance, insurance, outstanding vehicle costs, etc... and that individual is expected to feed themselves breakfast lunch and dinner on that.... not to mention they probably make the file expense claims that are heavily scrutinized by the company where they probably have to wait a week or 3 to get a cheque... this would for the long term be creating an individual with some major outstanding loans!

+1! That is exactly what I was trying to say.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Supply and demand isn't the economy anymore?

Actually think about it. There is no demand for employees because there is no demand for supply at the present moment so it is still supply and demand. This is economics 101 and this has always been the way economy runs. Trust me when demand for supplies pick up there will be a demand for workers. A different kind of worker because right now the economy is going through a change and employees must have more skillsets now. I think a good change is coming. No more bullshitting your way through you need to be able to work and do what our forefathers did and that is hard work but effecient.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd rather transistion into another field than take a $10/hr job, especially living here in NYC. my first "job" out of college was @ best buy & that was $8.50, and that was 6 years ago. That wage did nothing for me, i wasnt making any money at all. and what little i did, would all go towards my loans/bills. i understand being desperate, but you got to be smart about it at the same time. now if this was a weekend side gig, then its whatever, but as a F/T gig...no bueno!!!
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    I'd rather transistion into another field than take a $10/hr job, especially living here in NYC. my first "job" out of college was @ best buy & that was $8.50, and that was 6 years ago. That wage did nothing for me, i wasnt making any money at all. and what little i did, would all go towards my loans/bills. i understand being desperate, but you got to be smart about it at the same time. now if this was a weekend side gig, then its whatever, but as a F/T gig...no bueno!!!

You need to get some experience on your resume. Maybe you can find a job making $11 an hour at a non IT field. That is good for the short run. In the long run, take the pay cut now, bust into the field, and in 6 months to a year move on for more money.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Are you telling me that you are considering making $22880 a year?

No, but the "fantastic" should have had factitious marks around it.
  • Options
    djkdawgdjkdawg Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    I received this email and thought to myself, I was making 12 to 15 an hour ten years ago at Micro Center. Have things really got that bad?

thats pretty bad, that was my first entry level job and i started out making 13 an hour plus mileage!