Options

How fast is your subnetting?

MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
I'd like to get a rough idea of the necessary speed needed to prepare for the CCENT ICND1 exam. For those of you who have either passed ICND1 or ICND2 recently, whats the range at which you can find the answers to the questions at subnettingquestions.com? Currently, depending on the question, I find myself resolving these problems in 45 to 60 seconds... Would you say this is sufficient? What should I get it down to? I want to make sure I have enough time for difficult sims or other things that may trip me up.

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Monkerz wrote: »
    I'd like to get a rough idea of the necessary speed needed to prepare for the CCENT ICND1 exam. For those of you who have either passed ICND1 or ICND2 recently, whats the range at which you can find the answers to the questions at subnettingquestions.com? Currently, depending on the question, I find myself resolving these problems in 45 to 60 seconds... Would you say this is sufficient? What should I get it down to? I want to make sure I have enough time for difficult sims or other things that may trip me up.

Back when I went subnetting insane I could answer most in 30 seconds to a minute depending on how much I decided to mis-read my horrible handwriting.

Now it is probably worse. But I'd say a minute would be enough. Keep in mind that you have time to jot down some tables before the exam starts to potentially double your speed with a quick reference.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    *nod* thats the first thing I do for any exam...take the scratch paper and jot down all the tables/references I anticipate needing so that I'm ready when the question comes up.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I could do it between 3-20 seconds, depending on the problem. Make sure you compete against yourself to do better :) I think that if you can get it under 25 seconds, you should be good.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    i think Jeremy Cioara once said you should be able to answer a subnetting question in 20 seconds or less!

but yes, making a subnetting table is something a LOT of people do on that scratch paper, it only makes sense since there will be no calculator on the actual exam from what I understand.

(although I think there should be, since the calculator would only be of value in answering a subnetting question, and has no other value other than to help you calculate the answer correctly which you can do anyway on scratch paper)
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Selfmade wrote: »
    (although I think there should be, since the calculator would only be of value in answering a subnetting question, and has no other value other than to help you calculate the answer correctly which you can do anyway on scratch paper)

The exam is really trying to test your understanding and ability to implement network schemes. The key word is your. The Net+ had a calculator in it, and that made me laugh since I never really needed it. In the real world, you may have a calculator. In the cisco training environment they believe that you can get better and faster by learning how to do the stuff in your head.

I can't believe I said that, I hate math AND subnetting. Give me a calculator any day!
    I could do it between 3-20 seconds, depending on the problem. Make sure you compete against yourself to do better I think that if you can get it under 25 seconds, you should be good.

I just realized what subnettingquestions.com actually asks, I never used them. I had a family member give me random host numbers and created a vlsm scheme within my 30 seconds to a minute, usually about 4 or 5 different ranges. Now it is probably longer, but practice practice practice!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First thing I do when I take a test is spit out any information in my head. Even if it is easy stuff, sometimes under pressure you can't think of it so its a good thing you wrote it down.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    I can do most of them in around 10-20 seconds but I use a table I have written down to speed it up. Which is what i'll be doing on the test when I take it.
  • Options
    I appreciate everyone's input! I was told by a Net Engineer buddy of mine, "If your fiance isn't complaining about the lack of quality time you spend with her, you're not studying hard enough" I think I will take that advice and squeeze more time in as often as possible. :)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I take about 2 minutes but I'm not studying Cisco (yet, maybe later)
    I just wanted to learn subnetting since it's part of the 70-642 studies. You guys are like ZOOM..done
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    I just ran through about 10 questions, averaged between 3-10 seconds on each. Do they get harder as you go on? I am going to use this site for practice tho.

@monkerz, you need to practice block size subnetting ;)
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I say it takes me about 10-20 seconds for the common ones, and about 2 minutes for the wierd CIDR ones they throw at you.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Monkerz wrote: »
    I was told by a Net Engineer buddy of mine, "If your fiance isn't complaining about the lack of quality time you spend with her, you're not studying hard enough"

I am studying plenty then. She is always complaining.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I am studying plenty then. She is always complaining.

sometimes her soft comforts are better than studying icon_twisted.gif
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I can't subnet for **** anymore. I use calculators and **** sheets most of the time. :p

Gun to my head, I think I could manage, but it'd be tough.
  • Options
    Do they get harder as you go on?

No they do not. They are just private IP questions.

Ok, by using a **** sheet, that I can create in 2 minutes, I have narrowed the time in which I can subnet to 9 - 25 seconds depending on the question. Below is the sheet I just thought up...helps me a lot!
    2^1 2
    2^2 4
    2^3 8
    2^4 16
    2^5 32
    2^6 64
    2^7 128
    2^8 256
    2^9 512
    2^10 1024
    2^11 2048
    2^12 4096
    2^13 8192
    2^14 16384
    2^15 32768

• Options
    now if someone can talk about how taking away subnet bits from the network bits to create subnets, that'd be great

Subnetting is the ONE skill that I have not reviewed on much and i'm so far behind Monkerz, I'm making him look like a CCIE
  • Options
    Taking away from network bits to make subnets? I think you are confused...

You reserve host bits to create subnets.

Say you have a Class B IP, the net mask should appear as follows:

Converted to binary and the bits identified with N as network bits and H as host bits:
    NNNNNNNN.NNNNNNNN.HHHHHHHH.HHHHHHHH

Say you need 50 subnets, what is 50 in binary?

It takes 6 bits to make the number 50, so reserve those bits in the netmask. Identify with S, subnet bits should be turned on:
    NNNNNNNN.NNNNNNNN.SSSSSSHH.HHHHHHHH

Convert back to decimal:

Easy as that...
  • Options
    Ok, I think I'm getting it, so you just find out how many bits it takes to add up to the number you need and that's how many bits you need to reserve for the subnet?

make another example but DO NOT give the answer, i will reply when I figure it out.
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    If you're taking the ICND1 exam, anything under a minute is ok. If you're doing the CCNA exam, I've heard you need to be doing it in less than 30 seconds.
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    under a minute is fine for either exam.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    Selfmade wrote: »
    make another example but DO NOT give the answer, i will reply when I figure it out.

From the network 189.41.0.0/16, what would the netmask be for 43 subnets?
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    between 5 - 30 seconds. I can usually look at it and figure it out in my head where a year ago I was scared of it.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    for exam purposes, fast enough that I've never had a time issue as far as subnets go.

These days? seconds, because ipplan is sexy
  • Options
    IPPlan is cheating... :)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    of course it is!

but i've already passed the CCNA, so I've proven I know how to get my hands dirty. I just don't have to anymore hehe
  • Options
    Oh believe me, I can't WAIT to get my hands dirty... I just want to know everything there is to know about the exam topics, and lab myself to the moon before sitting for either exam. (ICND1 or 2)
  • Options
    I didn't want to start a new thread, so I am just going to bring this one back to life for a quick question. One of the posts, earlier in this thread, said being able to subnet in under 60 seconds will be sufficient for ICND1 and/or ICND2.

Some of my practice test questions are asking me to verify the interface addressing for up to 6 routers. I like to think I am proficient in subnetting, but these questions take a bit longer for me. After the initial brain fart, it took me 3 minutes to complete my last attempt at answering one of these.

I've thought about the actual exam, 50 questions with 90 minutes to complete, leaving me with roughly 1.8 minutes per question. Do I need to hone the skills? I am only worrying because this is my first Cisco exam, and I want to make sure I am right before clicking next, yet paying attention to the clock as well.
  • Options
    i know they suggest you be able to do it in your head, but the reality is they give you a scratch paper to take into the exam

you can make your own very uber handy (i just wanted to say uber :) ) subnetting chart, and it's nearly a prerequistive to jot down a subnetting chart for your exam, because it greatly reduces the mental calculations you have to do and you run a lot less of a risk that your mental calculations will be wrong. THEY DO NOT ALLOW CALCULATORS AT THE EXAM!!!

That is the main reason why one of the first things most test takers will do is jot down a subnetting and binary math chart, and before the test, they will practice using their chart, untill they can do a problem in under 20 seconds or less. That way they have more time to focus on the harder questions, like the sims and simlets

Remember, when it comes to subnetting, you'll either be right or wrong, so there's no real agonizing over your answer if you know how to do it with a chart.