Options

vlan1 up/down

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I tried to find out whats up with my vlan1 and why I can't telnet into my switch. I went online to find similar problems and I did. I read on a forum that I needed active clients on the vlan1 and I do. I have two network interfaces connected to the vlan1 and they have ip addresses assigned through dhcp from the internet router. I assigned ip addresses to each vlan. Vlan2 is up/up and has a router supplying ip addresses and a laptop is connected to vlan2. Any thoughts of whats going on???
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Vlan2 is up/up
    A layer 2 switch can only have one VLAN Interface configured for administrative purposes. It sounds like you've configured a second VLAN Interface -- which would shut down the first one.

You'd need a layer 3 switch to support multiple active SVIs created with the interface vlan command.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    I tried to find out whats up with my vlan1 and why I can't telnet into my switch. I went online to find similar problems and I did. I read on a forum that I needed active clients on the vlan1 and I do. I have two network interfaces connected to the vlan1 and they have ip addresses assigned through dhcp from the internet router. I assigned ip addresses to each vlan. Vlan2 is up/up and has a router supplying ip addresses and a laptop is connected to vlan2. Any thoughts of whats going on???

That's often why Cisco suggests changing the administrative VLAN from the default of VLAN 1 to anything else, in most Packet Tracers, it's VLAN 99, but it can be anything, in other PT activities later on it changes, it can be vlan 5, 10, or whatever, anything. They just recommend you change it from the default of VLAN 1 for security reasons.

Also remember that VLAN 1 can't ever be deleted.

I know that's kind of off track a little bit, but this information will help you.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information!! I was really confused to why my switch was doing this to me. I guess I'm on my way to buy a layer3 switch or 2 later on this fall.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    A layer 2 switch can only have one VLAN Interface configured for administrative purposes. It sounds like you've configured a second VLAN Interface -- which would shut down the first one.

In the last semester of CCNA Expoloration, we had this case study that we were working on over semesters 3 and 4. At the end, it was time to implement the network that we designed and everybody was assigned an area. Sure enough, everybody that was on switches started having this exact problem. Surely all 4 people couldn't be doing the exact same thing wrong could they?

Of course they could. They were ALL assigning three VLAN interfaces on each switch. "My VLANs keep going down, whats wrong with this switch?" icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    I only got to semester 2 for ccna. I'm glad that I didn't finish, I know it sounds odd.
    Booya!!