Options

SDM with GNS3

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
This may be more appropriate in the GNS3 forums, but I'm not a member there :D

Since my current physical routers aren't SDM-capable (2610's) and I've gotten GNS3 working, I thought I'd try tinkering with SDM on one of the virtual routers made. I managed to get it working after a few attempts but for some reason it seems only semi-functional. I can create a new connection, but I can't edit existing connections, and the 'Additional Tasks' .. button? doesn't work at all (it's clickable, but the right-panel remains on whatever screen it was on before).

Note that I'm running SDM on my PC since so far I haven't been able to 'upload' it onto the V-routers; perhaps that's why some settings seem disabled? I'm just curious if anyone else has used these tools together and if they had similar issues or if it's something I can look into further to try to fix.
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bermovick wrote: »
    I managed to get it working after a few attempts but for some reason it seems only semi-functional. I can create a new connection, but I can't edit existing connections, and the 'Additional Tasks' .. button? doesn't work at all (it's clickable, but the right-panel remains on whatever screen it was on before).

Ahhh... the lovely icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif SDM icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif. The first thing I would check would be the version of Java. I was using some "unsupported" version of Java before and it would do that to me... Once I got a supported version of Java, the 'Additional Tasks' no response problem went away... too bad that was the least of my SDM problems. I hope this helps.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Reporting in:

Both peanutnoggin and various google searches suggested an older version of Java is needed (I was running 6u20 at the time). After several downgrades with even less functionality (not loading at all), I have functionality with j2re-1_4_2_08, BUT I have to use IE as I was unable to get that version to work with firefox. I'll slowly bring the versions up to the present and report the most recent version that I can get working and/or if I can find one that works with firefox in case anyone else has similar issues (YMMV as always though).

[edit] 6u6 works with IE but not firefox. 6u20 doesn't work with either.

[edit2] Sorry for all the edits, but: According to mozilla's website, firefox 3.6 and above needs a java plugin that began being included in JRE 6u15. A check of that JRE version does not work (for me) with either IE or firefox, suggesting at this point IE is your only option (or an older firefox). I'm not testing further to see if anything between 6u6 and 6u15 works.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno