Options

Intel i3 any good for 2008/VM ?

docspawndocspawn Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi M8's
Following on from 2003, i'm now to work on 2008 and virtual stuff (Hyper-v, ESXI, Citrix). The Intel I7 is to expensive for a tight Scot like me so would an over clocked i3 and plenty Ram work just as well ? Or should i dig deep for a i5 ?
Thanks for any info
D.S.

Comments

• Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends. Have you already bought motherboard, ram, hard drives etc? is it going to be used as your main pc or is it just for labbing?

any reason you couldn't get one of these quad core beasties?

HP ProLiant ML115 G5 Server - Opteron 1354 2.2GHz QC / 1GB / NHP SATA 160GB / 1Yr - BUNDLE OFFER - Ebuyer

Hard to beat for value/performance, and perfectly ready for hyper-v/vmware (albeit with a bit more ram)
  • Options
    docspawndocspawn Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mrmcmint, thanks for info. I havent bought anything yet so this would be ideal for lab'n. Guess it will have no problem with more Ram running a few VM's ?
    Cheers
    D.S.
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nope.
    I put 8gb in mine, I left the 160gb drive in and installed hyper-v server 2008 on it, and installed 3 x 750gb hdd's in raid 0 to hold the vm's. (with an external HDD to back up the vm's)

Also, if you wanted VmWare, it comes with a usb slot built into the motherboard so you can boot into VmWare from usb :)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've found out myself that buying is cheaper than a build. The market for Parts is gonna price themselves out of business soon at this rate.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.