Options

Passed Security+ today

Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
I finally scheduled and took the Security+ exam today. First off, let me say that I had a pretty good Microsoft security background, having gotten my MCSE in February, and I had passed the 70-298 and 70-299 exams in February.

I used Darril's book along with the Exam Cram Security+ questions book and Selftest and Preplogic tests. Darril's book and the Exam Cram book were great, and the Selftest questions were very helpful. Prelogic was okay, but not that great.

As for the test, I was able to complete it in around 35 minutes. Only a couple of questions were something I had not seen, and overall I thought it was very easy. I got 870 out of 900, which makes me think I missed 3 or 4 questions?

I'd highly recommend Darril's book and the Selftest questions. There were a number of questions that were very similar to the Selftest questions. The only strange thing is I think I had ZERO port questions. I'm glad I learned all those... icon_sad.gif

If you can take this after taking the MCSE tests you'll be much better prepared.

Good luck to everyone preparing for this test. It was not as bad as I had feared... Just learn the material and you should pass with ease.

Now it's time for Server 2008 and those tests.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the good score.
    Yeah there are very few if any ports on the Sec+ test usually, mostly just secure port questions. But they're good to know.
    I've seen in studying so far for the 70-642 that what I learned for the Net+ and Sec+ are being revisited quite a bit and in more detail so I'm glad I learned the material instead of just studying for a test.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass. How long did you spend preparing for the test?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I worked on this test from March 1st until today. I would have taken the test sooner, but I had a couple of interruptions with my studying. I probably spent a total of 6 weeks overall...
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    What do you mean when you say Selftest questions? Where can these be found? Are they the ones in Darril's book or on this site or what?

I look to be sitting for the exam in the next few weeks.
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    Go to www.selftestsoftware.com. You can get the Security+ tests here, and they are very good for this cert.
  • Options
    TheMechanicTheMechanic Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im planning to do this in 2 weeks. Is it possible? Gonna use Darill's book, learnkey and maybe exam cram. Thanks!
    Needs 100K
  • Options
    You can probably do it in 2 weeks if you cram like hell. The material is not that difficult, but it will depend on your background. I've got 20 years IT experience, so a lot of the test was stuff I have seen at work - and having my MCSE helped as well.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thnx todd =) I think i can make it. Been messing with computers since 8, now 24. Put my hands on a 8086 =P I feel comfortable, ill give it a shot. Thanks!
    Needs 100K
  • Options
    Im planning to do this in 2 weeks. Is it possible? Gonna use Darill's book, learnkey and maybe exam cram. Thanks!

I thought I was crazy for wanting to do this in 4-6 weeks. Nice to know that someone is crazier.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The school I am in currently has students take a 2 week course, after which the students take the school exam. Score high enough and you take the comptia exam the next day.
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    The school I am in currently has students take a 2 week course, after which the students take the school exam. Score high enough and you take the comptia exam the next day.

How high do you have to score on the school exam, and what is the percentage of students passing the CompTIA exam?
  • Options
    Ill let you guys know how it goes. Saw the books are just 9 chapters long or so, 500 pages is doable. Wish me luck =P
    Needs 100K
  • Options
    Ill let you guys know how it goes. Saw the books are just 9 chapters long or so, 500 pages is doable. Wish me luck =P

Reading 500 pages, and understanding 500 pages are 2 very different times.