Options

Linux Single User Mode Question

tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
Just wanted to double check this but here goes:

I have a laptop at work with Redhat on it. They forgot the root password so I was going to log in single user mode to reset the root password. I edit the start file in Grub add "single" and boot.

I get the following screen:

enter root password for maintenance or Ctrl+D to continue

I am assuming somebody set up a single user mode password for root?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can password-protect grub to prevent people from casually popping into single-user mode and circumventing security controls.

Security - GNU GRUB Manual 0.97

You can boot off a live CD and either edit the account in the file or chroot.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote: »
    You can password-protect grub to prevent people from casually popping into single-user mode and circumventing security controls.

Security - GNU GRUB Manual 0.97

You can boot off a live CD and either edit the account in the file or chroot.

Yeah I kind of figured that was it but wanted to make sure I was not being a noob because I saw in one Red Hat documentation that when it asks for root password that is where you change it. But come to find out I was not in the bash shell.

I will try the boot from CD to change it.
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you sure that you did not receive that message because of a filesys error at fsck startup run?
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Just wanted to double check this but here goes:

I have a laptop at work with Redhat on it. They forgot the root password so I was going to log in single user mode to reset the root password. I edit the start file in Grub add "single" and boot.

I get the following screen:

enter root password for maintenance or Ctrl+D to continue

I am assuming somebody set up a single user mode password for root?